• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 - Modified - Price Drop

CutterComp

Price: $7000

Description:

SOLD!

BASICS
Year: 1972
Model: 2002
Engine: 2 liter M10 (possibly 2.1)
Trans: Getrag 245 5 speed
Color: Silver (Originally Malaga)
Interior: Tan
Mileage: 50,xxx (may or may not have rolled over)
Title: Clean PA title in my name

Background

I purchased this car in August 2019 from an older gentleman who is a friend of my uncle.  He owns many cars (2001 S54 M Coupe, 2012 Boss 302 LS, 2018 Shelby GT350, 2014 Corvette, 2019 Stelvio Quadrifoglio... the list goes on) and although he loves to drive them, he is no mechanic.  He purchased this 2002 sometime in '02/'03 and decided to make a very aggressive street car and sometime track day car out of it.  He took it to a body shop he trusted and had them inspect it.  They said the car was a worthwhile candidate and so he took the car home and addressed the mechanical end of things first.  That process took 2-3 years and he let the car set outside unprotected during that time.  Once he had the car back together and driving, he returned with it to the body shop where they discouraged him from continuing the project, saying they felt he would forever be chasing paint and body issues (this is total rubbish, it sounds to me like they just didn't want to be bothered with the car).  Unfortunately, he didn't know any better and bought their story.   At that point, he registered the car and drove it very rarely on the street for the next 3 years but basically the joy had gone out of the whole thing for him.  Then he parked the car in his driveway under a cover and it sat there until I dragged it home in August.  I have nearly all the receipts from the parts he purchased and installed, which I will detail below.  The engine was shipped cross country to Top End Performance for their most aggressive street build and basically the rest of their catalog was thrown at the car.  His receipts total about $10k in upgraded parts. He says he didn't drive the car more than 500 miles from the time it was finished until it was parked permanently.  

Present

I have spent the last few months resuscitating the car and improving mechanical aspects that were never finished by the PO.  Needless to say, I pulled the fuel tank, drained, and cleaned it out.  Flushed the fuel lines.  Rebuilt the Weber 45 DCOEs with a kit from Redline, corrected the ignition timing, fixed vacuum leaks, rebuilt the shift linkage, new driveshaft CSB, new hard brakeline to the rear, new battery cable to the rear, new shift knob, new brake fluid resevoir, and braided lines, flushed the brake system, oil change and filter, new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, new air filters, new battery, replaced a number of other random items, and then CLEANED, CLEANED, CLEANED.  

At this point, the car drives fairly well.  There is still some fine tuning to do with the carbs and maybe the ignition timing (car can be grumpy at idle), but clears out nicely under throttle and although I have been gentle with it, I can tell this car is pretty darn quick.  The clutch, shift linkage, and brakes feel terrific.  Suspension feels great too.  Unfortunately, the tires are toast (dry rotted badly despite having less than 500 miles on them) so I have been very ginger in cornering the car.  New tires are a MUST.  

At some point, the car was repainted silver (at least two owners ago) and they never replaced all the trim after painting and it sadly did not come with the car.  The silver paint job was very poor, with only some of the trim removed, not all the rubber seals removed, overspray... etc.  It's crap.  You can see the car was originally Malaga and hopefully the new owner will plan to return it to former glory.  The car appears to have all original body panels and I can see no evidence of any accident damage.  The car is straight.  The car has a fair amount of rust, however, the frame rails are very good.  The floors are also pretty decent, with the exception of a patch in front of the pedal box.  The pedal box has a hole in the bottom.  The rear shock towers are very nice with the exception of a fiberglass patch on the driver's side tower.  The worst of the rust may be found in the inner and outer rocker panels and the trunk floor around the gas tank and the spare tire well.  Particularly around the gas tank, where the PO cobbled together some sheet metal and L brackets to retain the tank.   The driver's front fender has had poor rust repair done on the top behind the front turn signal, which is loose, and the top at the rear.   The car was bumped on the right taillight, very minor panel damage around it.  The car undercoated, I'm thinking very early in its life, and that black coating is now peeling off but I think the car was much better off for it.  To summarize, the car certainly has its share of rust, but is still a good resto candidate and better than many other examples I have seen.  

The interior is missing some of the original parts.  Obviously it has aftermarket seats (surprisingly comfortable and supportive if you're small framed).  The carpet is long gone... I pulled what was left out and threw it away, it was disgusting.  The car seems to have had a minor fire in the transmission tunnel many years ago, which resulted in melting the carpet along the tunnel and burning the insulation off the wires that go over the tunnel, melting the ebrake boot and the base of the center console, and consuming the reverse light wiring.  That seems to be the extent of the damage from the fire.  Strangest thing, I am not sure how that could have happened.  The tach and speedo are not hooked up.  The temp gauge doesn't register, but the gas gauge works.  The gauge lights all work and the exterior lights work.  Heater fan does not work.  No radio.  Sunroof works well.  Original doorcards front and rear are in okay condition.  Dash is cracked.  Has a Momo Competition steering wheel that is worn.  E-brake works well. Headliner is present, but has a tear and is dirty.  Rear window seal leaks on the passenger side.  Bascially all rubber seals for doors and windows need to be replaced.  Comes with a brand new factory BMW windshield seal and locking strip.  

Modifications

Engine

Top End Performance 170-180bhp Build

E12 Head Casting

Original Engine Block

Possibly 2.1 liters (I know it has JE 2618 forged pistons, receipt does not specify bore size)

Total Seal Plasma-Moly gapless rings

Kolbenschmidt rod and main bearings

Stainless Steel Valves (46mm intake/38mm exhaust)

Titanium Retainers

Dual Valve Springs

German Timing and Oil Pump Chains (non master link style)

Compression is 10:1

ARP 2000 Headstuds

Weber 45 DCOEs

TWM Intake Manifolds

Tii Distributor

Super Duty Cooling System

Top End Performance throttle cable kit

306* cam (according to PO, again the paperwork does not specify)

1 5/8" longtube headers

Carter Fuel Pump

Crane Cams Optical Igniton System

Ansa Sport Exhaust

Alternator upgrade

Driveline

Getrag 245 5 speed

HD 228mm clutch kit

Lightened Flywheel

Z3 1.9 shift lever

5 speed cross member

Shortened shift bracket 

3.90 limited slip differential

Suspension

Bilstein Sports

Sport Springs (unsure of brand)

Suspension Techniques front and rear sway bars

Poly bushings (front suspension, rear trailing arms, diff mounts)

Top End Performance rear strut tower brace and battery relocation mount

Brakes 

E12 calipers

Early 320i hubs

10.25" vented rotors from 320i

Top End Performance braided stainless lines

Shoes

Kosei K1 wheels 15x7" ET17

Yokohama ES-100 195/55-15 (hardly used, but terribly dry rotted)

As I see it, there are 3 options for proceeding with this car.  One, as a restoration candidate, with the expensive end of the mechanical stuff already taken care of.  A resto-mod car, cause I'd hate to reverse the performance mods.  Two, patch up the worst of the rust and just drive the heck out of it.  Not the prettiest '02 on the road, but a riot to drive.  Three, a track day car.  Patch up the worst of the rust, pull the rest of the interior you don't want, put a cage in it and have fun.  

I have a couple E30s, this is my first experience owning a 2002.  Always admired them, but now I know just how cool they are.  This car is so much fun to drive.  With something like 10 cars already, most of which are a project of one kind or another, I am simply in no position to keep this car and take it any further but you'd better believe I wish I could. 

Again, I have a clean PA title for it in my name.  Asking $7000 which is less than the cost of the engine build alone.  You get a free round tail '02 with it!  All receipts are chronologically organized in a nice 3 ring binder.  I'm in southeast PA.  I'm happy to answer any questions and show a prospective buyer the car.  Let you hear it run and drive too. 

Thanks!

IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3497.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3514.JPG