'76mintgrün'02

Winter Blend Gasoline and AFR

6 posts / 364 viewsLast Reply

I recently noticed that my AFR gauge is running a little leaner and figure that must be due to the switch to winter-blend gasoline at the pump.  

It is not a big difference, but cruising along, my car now seems to run more towards the upper end of 13 than the bottom.  

I think I am still "safe", but was doing some reading yesterday, and learned that the difference is compounded by the fact that the stoichiometric ratio of winter gasoline runs between 14.3-14.4:1, as opposed to 14.7 for normal gas.  

I just thought that was interesting, so I figured I share it.

This is where I found that information

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/winterGas/winterGas.html

Tom

• Like 3

I recently noticed that my AFR gauge is running a little leaner and figure that must be due to the switch to winter-blend gasoline at the pump.  

It is not a big difference, but cruising along, my car now seems to run more towards the upper end of 13 than the bottom.  

I think I am still "safe", but was doing some reading yesterday, and learned that the difference is compounded by the fact that the stoichiometric ratio of winter gasoline runs between 14.3-14.4:1, as opposed to 14.7 for normal gas.  

I just thought that was interesting, so I figured I share it.

This is where I found that information

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/winterGas/winterGas.html

Tom

I think the article you referenced is dated. According to Wikipedia “Some U.S. states have enacted laws to ban MTBE in certain areas. California and New York, which together accounted for 40% of U.S. MTBE consumption, banned usage of the chemical in gasoline, effective 2002 and 2004, respectively.[5][6] As of 2007, 25 states had issued complete or partial bans on the use of MTBE.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The trick is to have the right fuel for the right time of year. In the summer, when the temperature is high, the presence of too many light components will cause the fuel to evaporate too readily. This can result in vapour lock, an over-rich mixture and excessive evaporative emissions. In the winter, too many heavy components keep the fuel from evaporating, causing hard starting, a lean mixture, heavy hydrocarbon emissions and poor converter light-off.

but the chemistry is still valid.  So if they don't use MTBE, they're still using (X)butanes, ethanol, and other things

to raise the vapor pressure to a point that's a good compromise for mean temperature AND humidity.

Carburetors can't compensate for octane and vapor pressure and flash point, etc etc like injection can.

So it's not surprising that you're running a bit leaner, Tom.  More oxygen from cooler air, less fuel value from

less- potent fuel, and that pushes you lean.  

t

Throw a pint of diesel fuel or Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank (10 gal) and it will run better all the time.
In the summer it will also help prevent vapor lock.
This tip is from Great Race tech Randy Rundle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I experienced exactly this in my tii last year (mid/late November). Cruising AFRs went from 13-14ish to 15ish. Adjusted linkage / verboten screw accordingly...then set it back in April/May. 

YMMV.