trent77

suspension seems too stiff. suggestions?

27 posts / 988 viewsLast Reply

74 02, suspension completely redone. poly bushings (Ireland I believe) HR progressive springs Bilstein Hd's. Reinforced engine cradle, new rubber engine mounts. My car feels "buzzy" more race car than street car. Any advice?Thank you!!

I have the same setup, aside from the polyurethane bushings and no complaints with "buzziness", so I'd suspect they are the culprit.

Rubber does a better job of absorbing vibrations than polyurethane.

Tom

• Like 2

Poly bushings everywhere? Mine is completely refreshed. Poly bushings only for the sway bar mounts and rear carrier bushing inserts. The rest is all OEM rubber. 

Car feels absolutely perfect. No buzz. You've got too much poly going on.

• Like 2

If you have polyurethane transmission and differential mounts, you might start with putting rubber there and see how much smoother/quieter that makes it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

If you have polyurethane transmission and differential mounts, you might start with putting rubber there and see how much smoother/quieter that makes it.

This. 

Poly suspension bushings in my car feel fantastic, no complaints in that category. And I have H&R's stiffer 'Cup' suspension, and I like how it rides over even moderately cobbled streets on 'low profile' 15 inch rubber. 

But... I've also got Poly motor mounts. And with those, a low idle or rough idle, or even an RPM specific resonant frequency into the chassis will get the steering column, glove box, and spare change buzzing. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 2

What tire size and pressure are you running?

Lower profile tires on larger wheels can contribute to a harsher ride.

I find that my car feels a bit smoother if I keep it under 30 psi on the stock rims, with 185/70 tires.

Take it to a race track- then it'll feel all loose and floppy!

Problem solved.

t

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I don't mind it for the short drives, but the look on my wife's face... Better get it right

Did you lubricate the polyurethane bushings before and after installing them?

Did you recheck the torque on all the suspension bolts?

What kind of insulation/sound deadening do you have?

lube yes, torque yes. sound deadening is stock 1974 at the moment, but that will improve over the winter, but that shouldn't change the vibrating steering wheel

My poly motor mounts broke.
I have since replaced them with OEM motor mounts.
Inspect them often. My driver side poly mount failed suddenly far from home.
I had to wire tie the mount to make the 200 mile trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I find the stiff trans mounts have a much more noticeable effect on NVH than the engine mounts; engine mounts add for sure, but for me the trans mounts are too much.

So the steering wheel is buzzing at idle?  This has nothing to do with suspension bushings.  I'd be thinking about something touching or not being aligned right.  Might simply try loosening everything up and tightening it back down.  Is it our cars that some of the front end needs to be tightened while weighted?  Lower control arms?