trent77

suspension seems too stiff. suggestions?

27 posts / 1058 viewsLast Reply

putting poly EVERYWHERE in the suspension of these cars is a mistake for street driven 02.  makes the ride harsh.  only place it should be used is the sway bars.  new stock rubber should be used everywhere else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, trent77 said:

I don't mind it for the short drives, but the look on my wife's face... Better get it right

A steering wheel vibrating at idle is certainly not normal. A steering wheel vibrating while driving is a common problem on these early McPherson strut cars, which were always highly susceptible to front wheel imbalances. Despite advances in wheel balancing technology over the last 50 years, I still find myself having the ‘02’s wheels re-balanced and, sometimes, re-balanced again.

But I also have to ask what you’re comparing your ‘02 to, only because I don’t know your experience with ‘02’s specifically and 50-year-old cars, in general. The same goes for your wife. I’ve owned ‘02’s continuously since 1973 and, whereas I once thought nothing of an ‘02’s noise and “busy-ness”, my first five minutes in either of my ‘02’s today comes as a shock, as I move from my modern Mercedes E350 daily driver.

And... my wife views the ‘02’s as “uncomfortable” or “discomforting” — but entertainingly “fun” for short drives — despite both cars being absolutely stock, and both comfortable and comforting to me.

Going back to that steering wheel vibration, at what speed does it occur, and at what speed does your engine idle?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Other side of perspective here. I have two 02s, one with stock rubber, one with poly everywhere except transmission and engine mounts. I like them both. Have had it that way for 15+ years and no buzzing and the ride is firm but compliant. 13" wheels, 185s? Need to check.

Possibly the buzzing/harshness is due to metal on metal somewhere. Or the engine/transmission poly is the culprit.

~Jason

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mlytle said:

putting poly EVERYWHERE in the suspension of these cars is a mistake for street driven 02.  makes the ride harsh.  only place it should be used is the sway bars.  new stock rubber should be used everywhere else.

(Just thinking...)  Maybe they're so light that rubber is stiff enough, where with a heavier car (e46) the poly isn't such a big deal because of the weight...  Interesting.  Thanks Marshall.

• Like 1

My engine and trans mounts are rubber. The vibration is more of a "buzziness" at highway speeds, not a tire imbalance issue, those I've felt. This is my first 02, but not my first older car. I've owned an 83 GTI, I still own a 1977 westfalia (not the same animal I understand). I've driven multiple vintage mercedes when I worked at a benz resto shop. I really do appreciate the input from everyone, hopefully this helps in understanding my past experiences. I don't expect a new bimmer, but it's very harsh. I've been looking at getting some very soft (low durometer rating) poly and making my own bushings. I'm a machinist and I'm willing to guinea pig myself!! So far I've found some that is just a slight jump from the hardness of rubber but it should hold up better in the long run. I guess we'll see! Thanks again everyone!!

• Like 1

Worn Transmission/Diff, or just low fluids? center support bearing on it's way out? Wheel bearings needin' love possibly? All those things can create quite a 'buzz' at highway speeds. 

My 02 is not a quiet car on the highway.... Wind noise, engine, DCOE's, exhaust, stiff mounts and low gearing pushing high RPM's means what I could listen to comfortably on the stereo around town is barely audible once I'm doing 120-160kph.

1 hour ago, trent77 said:

My engine and trans mounts are rubber. The vibration is more of a "buzziness" at highway speeds, not a tire imbalance issue, those I've felt. This is my first 02, but not my first older car. I've owned an 83 GTI, I still own a 1977 westfalia (not the same animal I understand). I've driven multiple vintage mercedes when I worked at a benz resto shop. I really do appreciate the input from everyone, hopefully this helps in understanding my past experiences. I don't expect a new bimmer, but it's very harsh. I've been looking at getting some very soft (low durometer rating) poly and making my own bushings. I'm a machinist and I'm willing to guinea pig myself!! So far I've found some that is just a slight jump from the hardness of rubber but it should hold up better in the long run. I guess we'll see! Thanks again everyone!!

new stock rubber bushings are quite firm.  it really is amazing how well a 2002 drives and handles with NEW rubber bushings.   and they last a long time.  and don't squeak.

my car has poly/delrin everywhere except the trailing arms (poly in trailing arms bad idea with adjustable subframe).  the ride is brutal.  stiff, noisy and every bump rattle or bang is echoed in the cabin.  wife won't ride in it.  hell, i don't like to drive it for more than 30min on the street.  and there are multiple sets of earplugs in the center console for a reason.

JGerock's two 02's have stock rubber everywhere except the sway bars.  they are awesome to drive, and am not left wanting for "performance feel" on the street.

Noise Vibration and Harshness

Is it just me or does it sound like something in the suspension is bound up?

• Like 1

One of my plans is to remove my trailing arm poly bushings and replace with rubber. In the front I’m going Bavaria front control arms that have rubber bushings in them. 

john

1 hour ago, irdave said:

Noise Vibration and Harshness

Is it just me or does it sound like something in the suspension is bound up?

This is kind of what I'm wondering. ^

I have rubber all around except the poly bushings that came with the IE sway bar set. Bilstein HD's and suspension techniques springs. 195/55 R15's. 

Was happy until recently then my ride on a run had began to feel really harsh. I had recently had put air in the tires at a coin-op air pump during a downpour and I was miserable and being on the verge of being waterboarded.  I made the mistake of believing the pressure gauge-or I admit I was not being very attentive. I  re-checked after a tooth chattering run and I was overinflated by an average of over 8 lbs with one tire about 10 lbs over. (at least by my un-certified home gauge). Brought the pressure down to about 30 lbs. (by my gauge) and the ride completely changed back to what I remembered. I admit there may be a bit of a placebo effect here, but my ride today on the very same roads was much much better. 

Your ride may be changed a lot just by doing a simple check of tire pressure. 

But what do I know? 

• Like 1