Tknackstedt

Just saying thanks...

14 posts / 523 viewsLast Reply

I bought a BMW 2002 because of you. You did not know it but I was here on the forum...hovering and reading...and debating for the past six months. I knew I wanted to experience and learn from a car. I knew that I know very little about how a car works beyond the basics. Thanks to this forum I decided "what the heck, whats the worst that can happen." It's awesome to have such a wealth of information available online. Seems like unless you go hands on, you will never learn!

Decision made, I bought a 1970 Grenada colored 4spd manual vehicle online. Ohio seems to be largely BMW 2002 desert, at least compared to the wealth of west coast and southern cars. I have come to appreciate rain, snow, sleet, and other precipitation as the enemy of 70s automobiles and wish I lived in the Arizona desert, if only for the rust-free pristine cars they should have!

As any novice faced with a 50 year old roundie unloading from a trailer on a 30F Saturday afternoon, I am/was admittedly intimidated. I did manage to start the car, keep it running and successfully navigate it through the streets of my residential neighborhood. My bar to celebrate achievements is clearly set very low. I have read some of the postings by other newbies and felt much relieved to read about questions very similar to my own...Ok. Maybe some of mine are even more basic than what I have read here but I will figure those out on my own.

So anyway, thanks for being a great forum. Thank you to all the members for their knowledge, posts, and dedication to this site.

As soon as I can figure out how, I'll post some pictures.

TK

• Like 10

Congratulations! You've come the the right place. This forum is a shining example of what the internet can be when good people with the same interests come together to help each other.

You'll love your car. Good decision.

Nick

• Like 1

Congratulations on your purchase.

Ohio is no 2002 desert. Dave Hoovler is in your area. The Rivertown Gear Busters are very active from Dayton to Cincinnati to Kentucky they do several drives and over night trips every year. If you are on FB, look them up. You are also a fairly short drive to Pittsburgh which has the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix in July.

You are in good company.

• Like 1

Welcome!

I was in your shoes about 6 years ago. Very little knowledge about these cars (or any cars for that matter) but a willingness to learn. 

Could not own my 02 without this forum... an awesome combination of very knowledgeable people with a great deal of patience for newbies. 

You’ll be surprised at what you’ll be doing soon. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mvliotta said:

Welcome!

I was in your shoes about 6 years ago. Very little knowledge about these cars (or any cars for that matter) but a willingness to learn. 

Could not own my 02 without this forum... an awesome combination of very knowledgeable people with a great deal of patience for newbies. 

Uh huh. Where are the lift pix?

• Haha 1

And another one has caught the 02 disease. Welcome to the world's largest support group for your new affliction. Symptoms may include breakdowns, learning things the hard way, many trips to the local parts store and endless searching of the forum into the wee hours of the morning for parts or answers.

2 hours ago, NYNick said:
2 hours ago, mvliotta said:

Uh huh. Where are the lift pix?

Here is a teaser, Nick.  Garage almost done!

BEAC443E-4807-4E9F-981D-1EBFB2E4BC1E.jpeg

Edited by mvliotta
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim_75Sahara said:

There are 2002s in Ohio; more than you might imagine.

+ 1.  Jim and I are both in the Dayton area and own first cousin Sahara '73 sunroof cars...and lots more in Cincinnati and Columbus.  Welcome to the fraternity/sorority. 

Now's the time to make plans to attend next April's Mid America '02Fest in Eureka Springs, AR.  We have a caravan leaving from Dayton the day before, so you'll be traveling with a bunch of other 02ers with tools, parts and knowledge (no problems at all this year!)--and a fun route through KY and the Ozarks.

Mid America is like the FAQ but in person--73 2002s in 2019.  Watch for caravan announcements on the FAQ in late Feb/early March.

mike

Edited by mike

16 hours ago, Tknackstedt said:

... Ohio seems to be largely BMW 2002 desert, at least compared to the wealth of west coast and southern cars...

It may seem that way, but I’ve concluded that — although, yes, there may be more surviving ‘02’s in the sunbelt — the “desert effect” in rustbelt states is exaggerated because cars are far more likely to be garaged year round and far less likely to be driven year round. Thus, the cars are out there, but they’re less exposed.

During the nine years we lived in Atlanta, I’d see ‘02’s every week, but I realize that most of those I saw were street parked.

Welcome and regards,

Steve

19 hours ago, Tknackstedt said:

As soon as I can figure out how, I'll post some pictures.

Posting pictures is very easy.  Tip: reduce the size of your pictures to under 1mb to control your quota and speed.  Drag and drop as the following picture suggests.  Then click the + sign to add the pic(s) to your post.

DragN_DropPic.thumb.jpg.0449d6cd223ee0c8ea567f5a62c08ad8.jpg

Welcome from the PNW.  You get deep-freeze.  We get perpetual rain with the occasional snow storm for 5 months.  Great time to bond with your 02.  Hopefully you have a heated space for your car.

Questions?  Ask away.

TK,

Welcome to the neighborhood. I'm about 40 miles south.

Greg

DSC_1132.JPG

• Like 1