Old@Heart

Swapping an BRZ motor FA20 into 1970 2002

21 posts / 1001 viewsLast Reply

Anything is possible with enough talent or money but I have to ask why that motor specifically? Even BRZ owners don’t seem to like it. 

• Thanks 1

You want the H6 for 3 liters of displacement!

t

transmissions?  no problem!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Anything is possible with enough talent or money but I have to ask why that motor specifically? Even BRZ owners don’t seem to like it. 

I am sorry if I screwed up the replying method. I am a noob to this forum. I just liked the power for the money and it seemed like a reasonable option because I know people also do the F20C swaps. I don’t really wanna hassle with the straight six options.  

Anything will go in- rotaries even had their phase.

I think the only rule is that you're not allowed to hack up

the shell of a pristine, original- paint car.

Anything else is forgiven- IF you finish it!

t

guilty of not finishing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know of one. It seems unlikely that a boxer would fit in a space designed for an inline, or at least without significant relocation of the steering and brakes. I wonder, too, about whether it would fit between the struts. A BRZ has an almost 8in wider front track. It would be an interesting swap. If you go down this path, let us know and keep us up to date.

• Thanks 1

There are so many DOHC JDM 4 cyl. motors out there if I was looking for reliability and horsepower I would start there, Then again I would never do if I had complete car to start with

• Thanks 1

I'd also be concerned about the added width of a boxer motor... Why not just go with a S2000? That's a proven swap, fits well, and revs to the moon. Excellent drivetrain. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TobyB said:

You want the H6 for 3 liters of displacement!

t

transmissions?  no problem!

a good buddy of mine did this to a base-model 98 Impreza, and turned it into track-car. It's why I love Subarus, they're built like legos. He started with the car and a Legacy front-clip in the morning, and by the end of the day it was in and running. 

That thing is CRAZY fast.... it (and he... he's a hellova wheel) embarrasses vehicles punching well above his weight.  

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

a good buddy of mine did this to a base-model 98 Impreza, and turned it into track-car. It's why I love Subarus, they're built like legos. He started with the car and a Legacy front-clip in the morning, and by the end of the day it was in and running. 

That thing is CRAZY fast.... it (and he... he's a hellova wheel) embarrasses vehicles punching well above his weight.  

I have a 2006 Subaru outback L.L.BEAN  with the 3.0l H6 under 50k miles, I call it the sleeper wagon. Put the 5 speed auto in sport mode and shift it like a manual and you can make muscle car owners cry lol.

• Thanks 1

That engine is incredibly wide and would be a real fabrication project to fit it into a 2002 chassis.  You have to lift the engine off the motor mounts and remove a lot of parts just to change the spark plugs in a BRZ!!!

• Haha 1

I think I will take the advice of the guy who said “if I had a complete car I wouldn’t swap it” at least for now. I have a “Very complete” Car. I just am getting power greedy. Thank you for all of the input guys! 

697EF341-8912-4CE9-8313-B613806F3B9D.jpeg

5527DC14-2A0E-44F5-AAEE-AC2AB8A05AA6.jpeg

4979DED0-6AA4-4B98-80B9-68E3F3C73092.jpeg

F3853899-2A06-46E6-A1E8-1A219CC17CA8.jpeg

Edited by [email protected]
Mistake
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 6:16 PM, [email protected] said:

Hello All,

Does anyone know if the FA20 swap out of a Subaru BRZ into my 1970 2002 is possible or know of any successful examples? 

Thanks in advance!

For the first time in my life I am looking at the car I own and wonder if it can handle the extra power I can produce.  To handle a lot of power or torque daily is tricky.  160-180 to the tire is what I am shooting for.  After looking at another turbo project and learning that a broken rear stub axle means that you are sans tire on these 02's. 

If you swap it out for E30 guts then fill your boots.  For me when I contemplate replacing everything from another car there are way better swaps candidates than an 02. 

Recently i am thinking a twin turbo LS in a old Range Rover.  Funny, reliable and functional. 

• Haha 1

It's your car and of course you're free to do whatever you'd like, but in my opinion that car is way too clean to be bastardized with anything but a German engine. With the cost of an engine swap, why not just buy a fast 5,000 dollar car and have the best of both worlds??

Bob

• Like 1