• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you rather have: BMW 2002 tii or BMW E9 3.0?

davidhunternyc

What would you rather have: BMW 2002 tii or BMW E9 3.0? - Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. BMW 2002 tii or BMW E9 3.0

57 minutes ago, davidhunternyc said:

Done !!! So nice of you to offer, Nick. That would be an adventure indeed. There is nothing like those trees and winding roads up there. BTW, have you ever been to Sports Car Restoration in Plainville, CT?

..and we can talk about SCR.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

David,

From another born & raised in L.A. kinda guy, the 2002tii is the way to go.  I'm still in L.A. and am glad I've had a 2002 all these years, and not a 3.0.

Also, when you go off-roading you need the ground clearance that the 2002 has .........

image.png.8bb3233a3c71b91e6b8fef8cc9386728.png

image.thumb.png.5e88056b6d30808dba281f6ec9a441ce.png

image.png.b5b17a2751a6d1a6d137d9b7af3d7e79.png

image.png.3e14957ba70b88fa12f461ad5723cff0.png

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 2

Carl, thanks for those beautiful photos of your car. Yes, there is something about the practicality of the 02. Even though that first picture brought up bad memories for me of broken bones and surgeries from riding motorcycles in Bell Mountain, El Mirage, and Desert Flower. From what I hear those places are all built up now with houses and strip malls. It's a shame for as many problems as I had with motorcycles, when they were turned off, I did enjoy the stark beauty and quiet of desert. Still, I would trade in the desert for the Hudson River Valley any day of the week. 

On the freeways, I would always be envious of the 02 owners. I would covet them. Every once in a while some rich real estate guy would pass me by on the 405 in his E9. Though I always had this douche bag feeling about these types of guys it was just covering up my jealousy for their unobtainable cars. Now, many years later, the E9 looks like pure understated elegance against the Aston's, Porsche's, and Bugatti's of today. 

Edited by davidhunternyc

David,

I've carried all kinds of big & bulky stuff in my '74tii that I don't think would fit into an E9.

As for the looks of the E9, I was at the SoCal Vintage gathering last Saturday in Van Nuys and had to change my shirt several times for all the drooling I experienced when walking past the E9 section.

What you need is a quiet motorcycle, ridden sedately on-road ...... here's mine:

image.png.bdea016bb970ace0044ad6b2ff9bec7d.png

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 1

I can honestly say that driving & showing an an E9 during Car Week in Monterey is tough to beat. Did it in 2016 & 2019.

Athena Roundel 11:16.jpg

Carmel 02 Andrew & Cindy w:Athena.jpeg

Legends 2nd in Coupe Class.jpeg

• Like 3

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

No one is mentioning it, but I'll take a E3 over a E9, sorry but I already have a tii.  I have had three E3's, a 70 Euro spec 2800 4 speed, and two 73 Bavaria's that were converted from auto tragic to manual gearbox.  At least with a E3, you don't have to worry about it rusting if you drive it in the rain like you do with a E9 coupe. 

G-Man

IMG_4192-1.jpg

29631_4996895881832_1052467380_n.jpg

• Like 3

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

18 minutes ago, Gordon said:

No one is mentioning it, but I'll take a E3 over a E9, sorry but I already have a tii.  I have had three E3's, a 70 Euro spec 2800 4 speed, and two 73 Bavaria's that were converted from auto tragic to manual gearbox.  At least with a E3, you don't have to worry about it rusting if you drive it in the rain like you do with a E9 coupe. 

G-Man

Uh oh, you're cheating. That's not the poll. Yes, I will research the E3 too because I'm here to learn and I no nothing about the E3 but still, kind sir, you win a... kick scooter! 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Stevenola said:

Join e9coupe.com and ask a member in your area to see and possibly drive a car.  There are a few NYC members that would surely oblige.

Hurry though, winter weather is coming and those cars are put to slumber soon. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Can’t say I get this bit about maintenance, a Tii is qhuite a set and forget car, sure regular maintenance that you do to any other car, but what’s the extra you need to do with a Tii over a carb 02,

A well setup Tii is a lovely car to drive.

id go along with the space aspect, but take out the battery and air cleaner in about 10 mins and there’s not much you can’t access. The same lack of access could be said for a ti with factory air box.

yes Tii specific parts aren’t cheap, but a kuglefischer pump isn’t unobtanium!

Even an A4 isn’t that hard to setup, unless you have wear in the components,

All the 02’s are straight forward to fettle. 

The big coupe is simply stunning, and definitely one of the nicest cars I’ve ever seen, but you need serious skills or coin to fix a rusty one.

if i could I’d have one of every 02 model, in particular a turbo, an A4s and a baur,  and just because I could (you know cos I’m already in fantasy land) I have a csi...... but Santa isnt real and the Easter bunny’s suit is getting a bit tight now...

I don’t want to start a war with some of you Tii commandos, but the tii is a more complex car compared to the standard 02, especially an early single carbed roundie.  I can set the timing without a timing light, set the fuel air mixture and idle on the carb and change the plugs on an early single carbed 02 in a matter of minutes. Try doing that on a tii. Some of us here have a lot fatter wallets and don’t consider the extra expenses associated with the tii as relevant. But, if you’re on a lower budget, it makes the difference between driving your car and having it sitting for months or years until you can save for the additional parts and/or repairs. I got my first 02 on a student budget back in high school. And, I was agle to drive it and maintain it through my college days on a student budget. A tii would have been out of the question. And, it still doesn’t make any sense considering its price. Sure, I can buy both, the E9 and the tii now, but I’d much rather buy a couple of standard 02s or a standard 02 and a 2000 Coupe for the price of a tii. If you must have a Big Six, go for the E3. It feels stiffer, safer and lighter compared to the E9.

1 hour ago, Slavs said:

I don’t want to start a war with some of you Tii commandos, 

All good mate, only friendly banter, there’s ceartainly some truth in your comments, the pricing situation is definitely challenging!

Theres room for everyone’s opinion I reckon.

• Like 2