bmw1602.com

Build thread updated and Ran the best race of the year!

18 posts / 544 viewsLast Reply

Would of loved to have attended the Socal Vintage but unfortunately they both landed on the same weekend!!

Got a ton of stuff on the car sorted thanks to major help from Kevin Mcdonald. Put in a locked 4.10 diff and the car ran great all weekend finally.

Build project thread updated...of course you can always follow along on instagram @1602racer

I started the race from the back of the grid and worked my way all the way to P7 and most importantly P3 in my class (BS-L)

it was action packed from start to finish, grab a coffee and enjoy the race plenty of 2002 going fast!!

• Like 8

Good Job!  It really feels good to pass guys on the outside of turn 2.  Looks like you've got the suspension set right.

• Like 2

Great video, felt like I was there!  Nice driving.

Jason

• Like 1

that was fun riding along. who's blue 02 is that? he looks quick

• Like 1

A fellow 02 pilot from my hometown of Burbank. This is a pretty small town, and I've never met you. Surely you must have seen me putting around in my 02s. That is just about all I drive.You really seem to have your car dialed in, and you are obviously a good driver considering how smoothly you're negotiating your way around that track at those high speeds. I've seen both, Kevin and Jeff out there, and they are very good drivers as well. Watching all this, I'm motivated to get an 02 race car, even at my age. The 02s race cars are a good deal compared to some of the other stuff out there like the $250K+  60s era SWB Porsche 911s. I'd like to check out your car. Hitting 115mph with a 4.11 diff ? I didn't think it would be possible with a 1:1 ratio in top gear, if that is what you have in that car.  

Hey, Nice Job!!!! Great to see that you are back on the track !!! 

• Like 1

I see the wheel 'kicking' back a few times...seems like at those cornering speeds

a steering damper might be nice?

18 hours ago, jireland2002 said:

Good Job!  It really feels good to pass guys on the outside of turn 2.  Looks like you've got the suspension set right.

Thanks Jeff!! After chasing gremlins, getting a few DNF's and even catching on fire just like you did at ocktoberfest (not sure if you heard about that)...... finally I took my car to Kevin's shop and he found lots of problems and finally put the car on scales and tried to corner balance it a bit. He also got the engine running just right! He was a big help.

Car felt good on the outside of 2 and yes most people don't use that line enough. Everyone hugs the inside alot.

10 hours ago, iinca said:

that was fun riding along. who's blue 02 is that? he looks quick

The Blue '02 is Matt Rose from Ronin Autowerks. It's a BS car with box flares and alot more HP. It's his first race back with that car in over a year so I think he was still sorting it out.

9 hours ago, Slavs said:

A fellow 02 pilot from my hometown of Burbank. This is a pretty small town, and I've never met you. Surely you must have seen me putting around in my 02s. That is just about all I drive.You really seem to have your car dialed in, and you are obviously a good driver considering how smoothly you're negotiating your way around that track at those high speeds. I've seen both, Kevin and Jeff out there, and they are very good drivers as well. Watching all this, I'm motivated to get an 02 race car, even at my age. The 02s race cars are a good deal compared to some of the other stuff out there like the $250K+  60s era SWB Porsche 911s. I'd like to check out your car. Hitting 115mph with a 4.11 diff ? I didn't think it would be possible with a 1:1 ratio in top gear, if that is what you have in that car.  

Live just north of glenoaks, PM me you can stop by anytime to check out the car ( i work from home most  the time)

I always have a an eye out for '02's never seen you!! Go figure.

Took me all year to get the car to this point but now it's finally dialed in.

You should definitely get a race car. Your never too old. Plenty of the guys on the grid are 60+ in fact wayne(RX3) is up there in age and one of the fastest drivers in our class.

I have a 5spd overdrive, so 1:1 is 4th gear. I never use 5th in the video. I'm in 4th on the front straight and on the back straight.

Driving the locked diff was interesting. I spun out in practice on friday on the second lap....takes a bit to get used to.

9 minutes ago, iinca said:

I see the wheel 'kicking' back a few times...seems like at those cornering speeds

a steering damper might be nice?

Never seen anyone use one. I have the offset bumpsteer spacers from Ireland. So bumpsteer has been reduced.

Honestly it's just a bumpy track also..... the other thing is with a locked diff the rear end us "lively" so there are more steering correction to be make as you hit bumps or the rear starts to steer etc...

"the kickback" you see might just be me reacting to the rear sliding from the lock diff. you need to react fast or it's game over.

(edited)

So your literally driving a 2000 lb. Go Kart at 111 mph..sounds crazy fun. Every time your wheel

kicked back I felt like we were all going for the big spin (or roll)

lsd is not good enough?

Have you ever thought about mounting the go pro on the bumper? Marshall's bumper cam racing

videos are close to epic

by the way that was one of the best edited racing videos.   The quality is excellent and the comments were spontaneous and funny.

Can I ask which Go Pro and setting?

Edited by iinca

(edited)
2 hours ago, iinca said:

So your literally driving a 2000 lb. Go Kart at 111 mph..sounds crazy fun. Every time your wheel

kicked back I felt like we were all going for the big spin (or roll)

lsd is not good enough?

Have you ever thought about mounting the go pro on the bumper? Marshall's bumper cam racing

videos are close to epic

by the way that was one of the best edited racing videos.   The quality is excellent and the comments were spontaneous and funny.

Can I ask which Go Pro and setting?

LSD was 4.44 with increased lockup. It's great, I just wanted to try a different gearing. The welded diff is a 4.10.

cheapest way to try out new gearing was to just buy an open diff and weld it....

Honestly I also wanted to try a locked diff as I heard it was a good way to go on a fast track with not that many tight turns like willow. 

GoPro5

4k 24fps

-1ev

Edited by bmw1602.com
  • Like 1

(edited)

Great video!  Thanks for not overlaying some lame music over the engine sounds....

02's are a handful to drive at speed.  Short wheelbase and imprecise steering box make even the smoothest drivers look "busy".

I switch between 3.64, 4.11 and 4.44 LSD's depending on the track to compensate for the bad ratios in the 245 gearbox.  A bit scary with the 4.44 because at 130mph, the driveshaft is spinning WAY being design limit...

I ran a locked diff in an E30 for a race season.  Not recommended.  A good LSD with higher lock ratio faster.

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 4:19 PM, mlytle said:

Great video!  Thanks for not overlaying some lame music over the engine sounds....

02's are a handful to drive at speed.  Short wheelbase and imprecise steering box make even the smoothest drivers look "busy".

I switch between 3.64, 4.11 and 4.44 LSD's depending on the track to compensate for the bad ratios in the 245 gearbox.  A bit scary with the 4.44 because at 130mph, the driveshaft is spinning WAY being design limit...

I ran a locked diff in an E30 for a race season.  Not recommended.  A good LSD with higher lock ratio faster.

My other diff has higher lockup. Funny enough.....I got almost the same laptime with each diff/gear ratio.

1:40.1 on the LSD 4.44

1:40.3 on the welded 4.10

2 months apart.....we had no wind this weekend but the track was dirty and seamed slower (everyone went slower)

That said....I have a feeling that the 4.44 LSD might be faster. Going to try that one next time again.

Also I used to instruct with NASA for 3 years......drove lots of cars.

I would have to disagree with you. I actually don't think my race car is a "handful" tp drive at speed. Honestly it's very predictable, rotates nicely and has decent balance. I ahve driven plenty of other cars I consider a handfull...... most p-cars, s2000, viper.....etc etc..