Niczip

LSJ 2.0 supercharged BMW 2002 project

34 posts / 4222 viewsLast Reply

Well I ordered the “2002 Underground” rear end kit and it should be here next week. In the mean time I have been Seam welding the engine bay, and this weekend got around to making a rear tower brace with a trunk located battery mount. I saw something similar to this in my google searches and liked the layout . 

11F46362-F7DC-4B78-8E43-192E8758EEBA.jpeg

Thank you for your support!  Look forward to seeing your build come together.fullsizeoutput_d0b.thumb.jpeg.576d0a477490c3d280bd6bf624ec4a88.jpeg

On 11/11/2019 at 5:14 AM, Ken said:

Thank you for your support!  Look forward to seeing your build come together.fullsizeoutput_d0b.thumb.jpeg.576d0a477490c3d280bd6bf624ec4a88.jpeg

Ken do I get a vig on this one??? LOL 

• Haha 1

Got the powertrain all mocked up along with  the tunnel and firewall cut. Plan on giving its first trip in this weekend.

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_2613.JPEG

IMG_2624.JPEG

• Like 1

After trying to save the steering gearbox setup to avoid fitting a rack I finally caved.....I cut it all off , reinforced the front subframe , cut a section out to clearance the oil pan and now I finally have the motor and trans fitting up nicely!  

9CB8FA5D-689D-4561-8F13-FDEC465C8E30.jpeg

F52FF3EB-3732-4991-B361-D7D92437ADF9.jpeg

C5E75D2B-5B3E-45FA-80C2-BCE981DF68F3.jpeg

A8D937A3-0AC5-4192-B797-6B764D436A47.jpeg

• Like 3

Added 2x3 rocker rails, tied them into the rear subframe, getting ready for the cage next!

rails - Copy.jpg

rails.jpg

subframe01 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Got some seats , just test fitting everything to get the pedals and column where I want it.  Next task is going to be getting a rack in the car. 

2C4CC84E-D699-495C-8010-DA6ACF9B856B.jpeg

42DF09AB-69DA-42EB-8906-C699701FDF50.jpeg

695CF282-5C4B-4744-9EE4-427E87F68856.jpeg

• Like 4

Making progress slowly now... Decided i had to ditch the stock column and got a electric powered GM column. After a quick trip to the junkyard i now have the column just praying i can shoe horn it in there. Working on getting the pedals in there is also proving difficult as the firewall is too flimsy to mount them directly to hence the dash bar i have in there. Just need to get them down about another inch and another two inches back.

pedals.jpg

dashbar.jpg

shift_brake.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work.

I run a single turbo 13B rotary that pegged the 500hp Tri-Point Engineering dyno.

My approach was to use as many proven it racer mods as possible and simplify.

imageproxy_php.jpeg.bfced2dd5be5cd1da7886993791dbf1c.jpeg

• Like 2

gary32,

That's awesome!! Did you keep the stock steering box?

Yes kept the stock steering assembly.

My 02 build process took place 20 years ago the complete sort took another 10.

There are many vendors for 02's selling "bolt ons upgrades" that are neither (a rear disc kit got me).

Money spent on upgrades and money wasted is best completed with some sense of 2002 history.

Lots of parts on an 02 perform really well at multiplied power levels some you need to help.

A Ford 9" might be the only real answer for my 13B with 25lbs of boost. 

The list of things that need to get done just seems to keep growing. Got the motor i will be using in the car all buttoned up this week and got my gas pedal bracket cut out. Getting the seats locked in positioned and mounted on sliders  is the current task. I have been slowly trying to conquer the steering during all of this and have determined that the Saturn sky rack is WAY to big to fit, and that the powered GM column i got from the junkyard will not fit either due to the overhung pedal assembly i have. SO with that said the stock steering column is back in and my e21 rack should be here today so hopefully it will be able to turn soon.

pedals.jpg

Love your dedication and really thoughtful craftsmanship.

Chassis flex gets real when 4x original power level.

A well designed semi it cage is a proven fix.

Been a while since I have had a chance to do any updates on the 2002. Not much progress with summer activities taking place. SO far i got my 4 point rear cage/harness bar in and have about half of it installed and i got my standalone for the engine all squared away also ordered the I.E. wildwood four piston for 15" wheels and the wildwood rear disc conversion. Also settled on a set of wheels 15x8.

cage 02.jpg

cage 01.jpg

wheel 02.jpg

wheel 01.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice work!  Love the chassis reinforcements.  What offset are you using in your 15x8 wheels?