BMW'73

Introduction

36 posts / 1790 viewsLast Reply

Just north of Brampton in Orangeville 

Legget auto body was my grandfather's business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Legget auto body was my grandfather's business.

Legget is still here. They may need to help me out if I cant get this car going. Tried boosting the battery all the wires are snug.

(edited)

You say that the dash lights and exterior lights illuminate, but no starter action.  Try this:

Turn on your headlights, then turn the key to start.  If the lights dim or go out altogether, then your battery is weak or dead.  Try recharging it; then do a load test to see if the battery is OK.  If the battery tests OK, then something is running it down (see earlier posts about the on-street parking lights and a malfunctioning emergency flasher), or your alternator/voltage regulator isn't recharging the battery. 

If the car still won't start with a now good battery, (the starter won't turn the engine over) then either suspect the starter motor, the ignition switch itself, or the starter relay.  You can bypass the switch, relay and wiring by running a jumper wire directly from battery to solenoid.  If that activates the starter, then go back through wiring, relay and switch.  That being said, it's unlikely that those items would suddenly fail (unless a wire fell off) in a few days.

Logical troubleshooting, one item at a time will (almost) always locate a problem (black swans excepted).

And BTW, welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.

mike

PS--to me, the car looks like it's painted Nevada (not a '73 color).  

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

Can you provide color as to anything that happened during those days?  As it stands it feels like when the car was parked it had no major issues - started and ran as it should. Turn the key and within a couple of cycles it would jump to life, idle appropriately, etc. No odd engine sounds or electrical smells or anything.

You were not in the midst of fixing anything - adding a radio or working on the fan or brake lights or moving the battery to the trunk or anything.

You closed the door and literally did not touch it again.

You then came back to the car a couple of days later and it is as you have described - won't start but doesn't appear to be the battery because you jumped it with a known power source (assuming a separate running vehicle).

Trying to have something to go on. Without more info it simply has to be the battery itself, or a wire burned in the loom somewhere.

Possibly the ignition itself. Under the dash behind the ignition key assembly is a small electircal assembly (part number 61312682120). Worth contorting yourself to 1. make sure all the wires are still connected 2. none of the wires are burned and 3. the switch itself hasn't given up the ghost.

Mike (and others) have provided wonderful assistance on this over the years, super helpful.

and

Something else to try.

~Jason

15 minutes ago, Roeland-02 said:

Welcome to the 02 club. Where you riding in St. catharines about 2 weeks ago?

The description of the car you gave sounds like mine. But I wasn't on ontario st. I bought the car between st. Catherine's and grimsby and took the hwy home. 

The car in st catharines had an foreign license plat on the front (I think it was from France) but the rear plate was from Ontario.

Always hope to meet more people with a 02.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:02 PM, BMW'73 said:

Legget is still here. They may need to help me out if I cant get this car going. Tried boosting the battery all the wires are snug.

Not sure who owns it now, so I can't give it an endorsement. I would love a picture if you can. 

Glad you got it figured out. I was thinking you should have the started tested and/or buy a new one.  What version of starter did you buy.? Think some later models have a smaller, lighter weight started that will fit right up, they are cheaper too, if I'm remembering correctly.

Welcome to the madness. I’m in Toronto, if you want to go for a rip
In the spring can meet somewhere on the niagara escarpment. Just need to get mine running. 1145a13a344f92a24b4b40510247fe76.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 9:16 PM, mike said:

PS--to me, the car looks like it's painted Nevada (not a '73 color).  

Mike, pardon me but i think you need glasses, new glasses, or a better monitor! LOL

• Like 1