• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: '02 in CA

majdomo

Price: $100

Description:

Alright... I've been bouncing around in this forum way too much and finally just figured I'd post this here. I'm looking for my first '02 (still) and would like to solicit some help from the FAQ. I'm not sure if this is realistic, but here goes:

- Dry, Dry, Dry as you can get, particularly around the usual rusty bits.

- Roundie.

- Decent mechanical shape. Not afraid of turning a wrench at all, but also not looking for a ground-up rebuild

- Original paint or a respray in the original color. Either is fine, I'd just like to avoid a color change if possible. Only color I wouldn't go for is Sienabraun, otherwise I'm good.

- Good interior. Dash more important than seats. Not a big deal, again not afraid of turning a wrench and actually enjoy doing so.

- Budgeted to $12K. I might be able to move up a little past that for the right car but probably not much, unfortunately.

- No rush, but the market feels a little thin right now.

Anyone out there? Where should I be looking?

THANK YOU!!

17 hours ago, majdomo said:

Where should I be looking?

Your bank for a bigger budget.  A solid roundie in the original color that runs and drives for $12K is a tall order.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but the market is getting smaller by the day.  You best bet will be something local to you on Craigslist or a local classified and when you see it, drop everything and go buy it, because it is not going to last long.

Mark92131

• Like 2

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

4 hours ago, majdomo said:

Wanna go on a road trip??

If the 69 was closer, it would already be in my garage.  Here's another one that is over your budget, but could be open to negotiation.  Complete repaint in Chamonix/Alpine white over original Golf, so not original paint or color, but at least they sprayed the whole car.

Mark92131

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/concord-1973-bmw-2002/6999166976.html

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

If the 69 was closer, it would already be in my garage.  Here's another one that is over your budget, but could be open to negotiation.  Complete repaint in Chamonix/Alpine white over original Golf, so not original paint or color, but at least they sprayed the whole car.

Mark92131

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/concord-1973-bmw-2002/6999166976.html

I liked the white one, but...in touch with seller with the 69. Waiting for pix. Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIN 1668969 is a U.S.-spec 1970 model year 2002, manufactured October 1969.  I owned, loved, and totaled VIN 1668093, a slightly-earlier (September 8, 1969) 1970 model. These are great years for the ‘02.

The example you’re looking at is extremely original and complete, with an amazing interior.  Other than the front fenders — they all do that — the topside rust appears to be absolutely minimal. This is a good one! I’m just lovin’ it!

This is not to say that you won’t be able to spend all your time and money making it better, but this is a great starting point!

And, 43 years after I bought my ‘76, I still believe that Polaris metallic with Marine Blue interior is one of the greatest combinations BMW ever offered on an ‘02.

Regards,

Steve

B9F80402-07B2-4136-A450-FC992C01E531.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 10/18/2019 at 2:31 PM, Mark92131 said:

A little wrenching and a respray in the original Polaris and this would be sweet.

Mark92131

https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/d/salinas-1969-bmw-2002/7001787024.html

+1

You said it, Mark!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It's awesome to hear, as I've put a deposit down and should have it here in the next week or two! All the research and good advice pays off...as does listening to Mark when he says he'd buy it :)

I've been up early researching what to do with the numbers matching motor, and if it should become a father / son rebuild project (he's 8 and LOVES 02s!). It will stay a bit ratty for a minute, but definitely going to be as original as possible as we go. Except to add driving lights. That's absolutely happening. And it's staying Polaris. Such a great color and love your 76!

First though, will spend some quality time with some cleaner and a rag to see what we're working with. Brakes and fluids, tires, suspension, lots of elbow grease. Maybe a build thread. Never thought I'd say that!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, majdomo said:

It's awesome to hear, as I've put a deposit down and should have it here in the next week or two! All the research and good advice pays off...as does listening to Mark when he says he'd buy it :)

I've been up early researching what to do with the numbers matching motor, and if it should become a father / son rebuild project (he's 8 and LOVES 02s!). It will stay a bit ratty for a minute, but definitely going to be as original as possible as we go. Except to add driving lights. That's absolutely happening. And it's staying Polaris. Such a great color and love your 76!

First though, will spend some quality time with some cleaner and a rag to see what we're working with. Brakes and fluids, tires, suspension, lots of elbow grease. Maybe a build thread. Never thought I'd say that!

looks like you got an awesome car. Get that build thread going!! 

I started my search about 2 years ago.  I had the same budget, $12,500.  To date I have bought 6 cars.  The first 2 cars I bought were $12,000 and $13,000 respectively.  If I had actually made them presentable drivers I'd have had $22k+ invested in either.  I guess my point is, you can find a car in that price range but be prepared to spend some $ on it.  I currently have 2 cars and was able to get my $ back on the other 4 I purchased and sold.  

I ended up increasing my budget and buying a very nice car.  The smile factor and enjoyment is well worth the additional $.58526815194__9A7800E8-10B1-4728-95BD-27CBBB27E86C.thumb.JPG.12a4aaa9fcd2816c1a570ded053bed72.JPG

58534888331__2200EA72-EE63-4C6B-BD98-E20BFC6765B0.JPG