Green Mountain Agave

Vehicle history search

15 posts / 518 viewsLast Reply

Hello all- I am trying to find some history on the 02's I own.  I've done the decoder, BMW archive request and tried the common carfax and epicvin attempts but is there a website for short vin #s or specifically vintage cars?  Thanks

Thanks, I was able to speak with someone at CA DMV and I am submitting a request form for microfilm documents. 

It was delivered to Liechtenstein from the factory in '71 so I shot them an email too.  Land of less than 37k might remember something, right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Mountain Agave said:

Thanks, I was able to speak with someone at CA DMV and I am submitting a request form for microfilm documents. 

It was delivered to Liechtenstein from the factory in '71 so I shot them an email too.  Land of less than 37k might remember something, right? 

I'd be interested in doing the same.  My car came from California, and I have a little history, but would love to learn more.  Please elaborate on the process if you would.

Thanks!

Tim

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Green Mountain Agave said:

The CA DMV is going to tell you that you are the current owner, they will not release any info on prior owners due to privacy issues.  If that has changed then please let us know.

• Like 2

I found some history on my car here, it will give you the smog check history available on your car, I was able to track mine back to 1997.  Smog checks started in 84 which leads me to believe my car came from out of state, albeit a dry one because even though I got in sad shape it had almost no rust,  

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/vehicle/pubtstqry.aspx

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, tashakes said:

I found some history on my car here, it will give you the smog check history available on your car, I was able to track mine back to 1997.  Smog checks started in 84 which leads me to believe my car came from out of state, albeit a dry one because even though I got in sad shape it had almost no rust,  

And ten years ago they would tell you the name of the shop and the city but not anymore.  They were afraid owners would look for shops that had several fails on a car and then a miracle pass.

• Like 2

RE: I found some history on my car here, it will give you the smog check history available on your car, I was able to track mine back to 1997.  Smog checks started in 84 which leads me to believe my car came from out of state, albeit a dry one because even though I got in sad shape it had almost no rust,  

I searched my car's VIN, and I'm highly certain it is a California-only car. There are two smog tests from 1997, the year I purchased it from a local long-term owner. 1997 may be as far back as the records at that website go.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

I'd be interested in doing the same.  My car came from California, and I have a little history, but would love to learn more.  Please elaborate on the process if you would.

Thanks!

Tim

https://www.google.com/url?client=internal-uds-cse&cx=001779225245372747843:uh-hxdgtdx8&q=https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/badb4920-162f-4b8a-8102-853f419a46d1/inf70.pdf%3FMOD%3DAJPERES%26CVID%3D&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjQ6K2WxaHlAhVRdt8KHSzgCZ4QFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0-na7LiINjlPCo868pBBkj

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Green Mountain Agave said:

I’ve done this (3 times) for my ‘73 tii, which was a CA car until I acquired it in 2014.  Between (a.) what is not in CA DMV’s files, and (b.) what CA cannot release for privacy reasons, there was not a lot a meat in the report.  The reason I filed three separate times, was I hoped someone would slip up and send me everything! 😉  No such luck: I got three reports telling me only the name of the last owner, which I knew already.

So.... manage your expectations! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I’ve done this (3 times) for my ‘73 tii, which was a CA car until I acquired it in 2014.  Between (a.) what is not in CA DMV’s files, and (b.) what CA cannot release for privacy reasons, there was not a lot a meat in the report.  The reason I filed three separate times, was I hoped someone would slip up and send me everything! 😉  No such luck: I got three reports telling me only the name of the last owner, which I knew already.

Regards,

Steve

I get that.  In the case with my car, it was tagged with a replacement VIN # by CA DMV and also has a state of California control #.  It was originally delivered to Liechtenstein from the factory in 1971 and shows no signs of ever having a VIN # on it other than this one applied by the state of CA in the door jam.  I am hoping they could share the documentation showing when and why.  I don't care who so they could block that part out.

There is the rectangular area on the inside fender where the VIN is normally stamped but there's definitely no numbers ever stamped there and no signs of grind marks that would lead one to believe they were ground off.  Also cant find any on the other typical locations.  No signs of rivet holes either where the badge is usually applied.

So, you're next question is how does he know it was delivered to Liechtenstein and how was BMW able to provide info, etc.? The VIN number is an actual BMW VIN #, not made up by CA DMV so I assume there was paperwork at some point with that number provided to DMV when it was imported... Or the car was badly injured in an accident and rebuilt with new parts and the old VIN plate and stamp were not transferred to the rebuilt car?

Would be nice to know...

• Like 1

(edited)
11 hours ago, Green Mountain Agave said:

...So, you're next question is how does he know it was delivered to Liechtenstein and how was BMW able to provide info, etc.? The VIN number is an actual BMW VIN #, not made up by CA DMV so I assume there was paperwork at some point with that number provided to DMV when it was imported... Or the car was badly injured in an accident and rebuilt with new parts and the old VIN plate and stamp were not transferred to the rebuilt car?

Would be nice to know...

That’s a head-scratcher!

Let’s think:

(a.) What is the VIN? Is it a Euro-spec VIN?  A U.S.-spec 1971 2002 (manual transmission) has a 167xxxx or a 257xxxx VIN.  U.S.-spec 2002A’s might use an additional VIN series.

(b.) The delivery to Lichtenstein suggests a Euro-spec car. If it’s got a Euro-spec VIN, does it have Euro-spec characteristics that support that characterization, e.g., no sidemarkers lights or reflectors, Euro bumper overriders?

(c.) If it’s a 1971 model, it’s either early (up to April 1971) and thus a pre-Modell 71 car, or late (from April 1971) and thus a Modell 71 car.  The Modell 71 mid-year facelift gave the ‘02 black-faced instruments replacing silver-dollar instruments, 12-fuse fuseholders, long consoles in lieu of short consoles, knee mouldings, rubber bump strips on front and rear bumpers, and more.

(d.) What factory date stamps can you find on the car? Original steel rims, taillights, instrument cluster, transmission, differential, seats, seat belts, electrical relays, steering wheel, etc.? How do they compare to the manufacturing date provided by BMW Group Archives — which was what?

(e.) My (b.), (c.), and (d.) questions are basic tests to see if the current VIN is consistent with the car as we see it today.  If, for instance, your VIN is for a pre-Modell 71 Euro-spec VIN, but the car looks like a U.S.-spec Modell 71 car, we have to consider whether this VIN has always been with this car. If many components are dated after the car’s manufacturing date, we have to assume the VIN is not original to the car.

(f.) What is the engine number? Does it match the current VIN? What is the casting date on the engine block?

(g.) U.S.-spec cars from 1971, but not Euro-spec cars from 1971, had (1.) an additional small metal VIN tag riveted to the top of the steering column clamshell, and   (2.) a paper VIN and build-month sticker on the rear panel of left door. Does the car have either of these?

I’m asking lots of questions not because there is any substantial possibility of a VIN change, but because we need to rule out that possibility. The easiest explanation is usually closest to the actual story. For example, the right front inner fender was crumpled in an accident, and replaced. This would have eliminated both the chassis VIN stamped directly into the inner fender and the riveted-on VIN tag.  The owner had the title with the original VIN but when the car was being sold, or inspected, the buyer or inspector, or mechanic said “Wait. There’s no VIN on the car.” And hence the CA DMV number?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

10 minutes ago, Conserv said:

That’s a head-scratcher!

Let’s think:

(a.) What is the VIN? Is it a Euro-spec VIN?  A U.S.-spec 1971 2002 (manual transmission) has a 167xxxx or a 257xxxx VIN.  U.S.-spec 2002A’s might use an additional VIN series.

(b.) The delivery to Lichtenstein suggests a Euro-spec car. If it’s got a Euro-spec VIN, does it have Euro-spec characteristics that support that characterization, e.g., no sidemarkers lights or reflectors, Euro bumper overriders?

(c.) If it’s a 1971 model, it’s either early (up to April 1971) and thus a pre-Modell 71 car, or late (from April 1971) and thus a Modell 71 car.  The Modell 71 mid-year facelift gave the ‘02 black-faced instruments replacing silver-dollar instruments, 12-fuse fuseholders, long consoles in lieu of short consoles, knee mouldings, rubber bump strips on front and rear bumpers, and more.

(d.) What factory date stamps can you find on the car? Original steel rims, taillights, instrument cluster, transmission, differential, seats, seat belts, electrical relays, steering wheel, etc.? How do they compare to the manufacturing date provided by BMW Group Archives — which was what?

(e.) My (b.), (c.), and (d.) questions are basic tests to see if the current VIN is consistent with the car as we see it today.  If, for instance, your VIN is for a pre-Modell 71 Euro-spec VIN, but the car looks like a U.S.-spec Modell 71 car, we have to consider whether this VIN has always been with this car. If many components are dated after the car’s manufacturing date, we have to assume the VIN is not original to the car.

(f.) What is the engine number? Does it match the current VIN? What is the casting date on the engine block?

(g.) U.S.-spec cars from 1971, but not Euro-spec cars from 1971, had (1.) an additional small metal VIN tag riveted to the top of the steering column clamshell, and   (2.) a paper VIN and build-month sticker on the rear panel of left door. Does the car have either of these?

I’m asking lots of questions not because there is any substantial possibility of a VIN change, but because we need to rule out that possibility. The easiest explanation is usually closest to the actual story. For example, the right front inner fender was crumpled in an accident, and replaced. The owner had the title with the original VIN but when the car was being sold, or inspected, the buyer or inspector, or mechanic said “Wait. There’s no VIN on the car.” And hence the CA DMV number?

Regards,

Steve

Amazing! Thanks for all the info.  It will take some time to do the homework but I will certainly report back asap.

8 hours ago, Conserv said:

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for the heads up Steve.  I know three of the previous owners plus two leads such as "a couple from Sacramento" and a "BMW CCA club member from Grass Valley, CA".  😁

18 hours ago, JerryC said:

RE: I found some history on my car here, it will give you the smog check history available on your car, I was able to track mine back to 1997.  Smog checks started in 84 which leads me to believe my car came from out of state, albeit a dry one because even though I got in sad shape it had almost no rust,  

I searched my car's VIN, and I'm highly certain it is a California-only car. There are two smog tests from 1997, the year I purchased it from a local long-term owner. 1997 may be as far back as the records at that website go.

1997 was the last year a 73 had to pass smog.