Sign in to follow this  
Fraidknots

Engine Rebuild Question

7 posts / 400 viewsLast Reply

So, I have a spare 1973 engine that I am thinking about rebuilding as a winter project.  My goal is to rebuild it with better than factory performance; I understand the mechanical principals of the engine but have never rebuild one.  

Can anyone recommend any books or reference material that will how too and torque specification information.  Since I have never done this before I am concerned I will miss the finer details that are so important.

Thank you.

just sent you a PM, but also, read the thread just above this one on " has anybody used Ireland for an engine build, lots of useful info,

Hi

I was a newbie and rebuilt mine a bit back

Read and reread the Haynes book

Study the BMW factory service guide. A wealth of info especially pointing out the special steps

PM me and I will send my parts spreadsheet and a set of articles specifically on the step by step of breaking down and rebuilding this motor. These are an absolute must to read

Good luck - Randy

Also find a good machinist in your area who knows m10 engines he should help get your clearances set, hot tank your parts and answer questions. But first of all ask here our highly trained staff is waiting to hep ya😁!

• Like 1

(edited)

Haynes and Blue Book will get you through disassembly/reassembly, but you need a machine shop familiar with old BMW motors, or at least willing to work to close tolerances. Getting the head apart is tricky.

Edited by Hans

I rebuilt mine as a newbie, had the machine shop do the crank shaft, then read Dempsey’s “How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche 911” and had an “Oh Shit” moment. Worth reading his book even though Porsche’s are more built than M10s, just for setting up and cleaning, etc.

When I redid my '73's engine about 15 years ago, I had a local machine shop (Performance Clinic) do the machine and reassembly work.  Their normal production is big US V8 race engines, and had never done an M10.  I copied all the spec and reassembly pages from the shop manual, and they had no problems whatsoever.  The engine's still going strong after 15 years and 62k miles, so I guess they did it correctly!

mike