MattL

Vans Parking Brake Grip

14 posts / 380 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

My handbrake handle had seen better days, so I started looking for something reasonably cheap, good-looking, and not too showy. I saw this 7/8” motorcycle grip and didn’t hesitate.

It feels good in my hand, looks cool (I think), and lets me get nostalgic for my NorCal biking days to boot. I’m gonna see what else I can slap some Vans waffle pattern onto! 

The length is a bit over, but the 7/8” inner diameter is perfect for the handle. I cut a hole in the end, pressed a rubber grommet in, and voila!

Now where did I put my Suicide Machines tape?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpy4hxUUBH8MDfbA8

DE3585E0-4E3C-40AD-AE70-F20243E362DB.jpeg

B56A7747-2981-4237-ABE0-32B6B279861B.jpeg

490B4CA7-84F3-4B1E-A826-CC6360A0CDF4.jpeg

Edited by MattL
  • Like 8

My handbrake handle had seen better days, so I started looking for something reasonably cheap, good-looking, and not too showy. I saw this 7/8” motorcycle grip and didn’t hesitate.

It feels good in my hand, looks cool (I think), and lets me get nostalgic for my NorCal biking days to boot. I’m gonna see what else I can slap some Vans waffle pattern onto! 

The length is a bit over, but the 7/8” inner diameter is perfect for the handle. I cut a hole in the end, pressed a rubber grommet in, and voila!

Now where did I put my Suicide Machines tape?

Where's the pictures?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

(edited)

Whoops. Added. 

Edited by MattL

I'm personally quite fond of my Oury Handbrake :)

Old photo, ignore shitty shift-knob, not-yet-installed horn button, etc. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d551.jpg.a842b06ebecf17f4d48f5671d8a0ea7f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2002Scoob said:

I'm personally quite fond of my Oury Handbrake :)

Old photo, ignore shitty shift-knob, not-yet-installed horn button, etc. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d551.jpg.a842b06ebecf17f4d48f5671d8a0ea7f.jpg

Looks great! Looks like a better length too. I also saw some diamond-pattern grips that would look awesome and very period-appropriate. They look very cafe racer-y. Magura was the original manufacturer, I think. 

Yup. Most slip-on style MTB grips work fantastic, I've found. I've run a few different options, but love your choice of the Vans Waffle!

Looks great

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have an entire bag of used grips in my workshop. I have Oury, waffle patterns, asymmetrical etc. I might need to pull that bag out and take a look.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here's one of the diamond/pyramid types I mentioned. I think it would look great, if you sliced off the flange: 

spacer.png

As an California 80's kid, I LOVE IT! All you need now is to mod the brake and clutch pedals for some KKT Lightnings and you'd be set!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2002Targa said:

As an California 80's kid, I LOVE IT! All you need now is to mod the brake and clutch pedals for some KKT Lightnings and you'd be set!!

Shin-skinners!  I'll never go back to those. 

If you google "leather bicycle grips" you can see an amazingly wide variety of leather grips (click images).  Many different shapes and colors with and without stitching are available.  I don't have any knowledge about how or if any would fit on the handbrake because I just have the standard grip on mine. 

Just wondering if anyone had tried this approach. 

35 minutes ago, Dick R said:

If you google "leather bicycle grips" you can see an amazingly wide variety of leather grips (click images).  Many different shapes and colors with and without stitching are available.  I don't have any knowledge about how or if any would fit on the handbrake because I just have the standard grip on mine. 

Just wondering if anyone had tried this approach. 

Yeah, I saw a bunch of those as well. I would think they'd work, provided they're the right diameter. Under the plastic grip, my handbrake handle is 20mm in diameter. 7/8" diameter rubber grips fit perfectly, although the greater elasticity of rubber likely makes that easier vs. leather.