16 posts / 702 viewsLast Reply

Hello all- I'm reaching out on thoughts of what to do with my 1974 Tii.  I bought it in a package with 2 others this was "marketed" as a parts car due to the rust/rot.  In looking it over more closely, I've discovered some features that I feel may be worth trying to find someone who would restore it.  The numbers on the engine block, steering column and wheel well match, It has the original fuel injection pump, factory AC and sunroof... and maybe more good features if you guys suggest where I should look?  This car may have been fully loaded?

I reached out to BMW and they responded with: The BMW 2002 tii US VIN  was manufactured on January 28th, 1974 and delivered on January 31st, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021.

The car is missing the original seats, steering wheel, bar that went over the rear bumper, drivers side door and passengers side mirror. but other than that, seems all there and original.  The paint was changed from Malaga to Golf yellow and done poorly many years ago.  The worst part of the car is the rust and rot on the floorboards and rocker panels.  The car had been parked for well over a decade and I have not tried to start it but I can get the motor to turn.

I am thinking to list it on BaT, or another place you may suggest that is better at matching someone with a project car?  What details should I have readily available for the perspective buyers?

Thank you guys

20190617_151339.jpg

Someone likely loved that car at some point. The shorty bumpers is non-trivial if done right.  Hard to read the rust from the single photo.

If you are selling it as a project car, just take as many photos as possible, starting with the body, from all angles. Highlight the good and bad. If you can get it on a lift, even better. See if it has a limited slip, what transmission is installed (could be 5spd OD or CR), etc. Any receipts in the glovebox may provide direction too.

Post the VIN. I bet Les has tracked it at some point and can provide more data, possibly even what it has in it...

Cheers,

Jason

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

Someone likely loved that car at some point. The shorty bumpers is non-trivial if done right.  Hard to read the rust from the single photo.

If you are selling it as a project car, just take as many photos as possible, starting with the body, from all angles. Highlight the good and bad. If you can get it on a lift, even better. See if it has a limited slip, what transmission is installed (could be 5spd OD or CR), etc. Any receipts in the glovebox may provide direction too.

Post the VIN. I bet Les has tracked it at some point and can provide more data, possibly even what it has in it...

Cheers,

Jason

Thanks, I will check the differential and transmission.  I may have some paperwork in the folder, I'll comb through that as well.

(edited)

A matching numbers sunroof tii, even one that might have been appropriately classed as a “parts car” ten years ago — and I haven’t seen enough of yours to suggest whether yours was or was not — is, in many cases, now considered a great project car. Higher values justify greater investment.

Bring a Trailer is skewing away from its... “bring a trailer” roots, so might not be ideal for this rough a car. Lots of photos, lots of stupid comments — alongside intelligent comments — and reserves. This forum might be a better venue, with potential buyers who not only know a lot about (rusty) ‘02’s, but who also know how to find every conceivable piece needed to bring such a car back.

Malaga is a popular color, but Golf, much rarer, is a hot color. A buyer might choose either of these routes, or neither.

Lots of photographs is key, certainly of the VIN and engine numbers, but also, critically, of the rust. Publish this data along with the complete response from BMW Group Archives; that’s the pedigree.

Getting the engine running would be very valuable. And tii’s, even though the seals on the Kugelfischer pump might leak like sieves, have a knack of coming back to life after a long nap! ‘02 A/C was never a factory option. It was generally a dealer-installed option, and owners have been adding it ever since. After I bought the ‘76 in July 1976, I bought a Clardy A/C system, enlisted my father as an assistant, even though he probably knew more about A/C than I, and we installed that system in about ten hours. Yes, my father thought I had lost my mind — for the umpteenth time, no doubt — when we started drilling holes in my brand spanking new ‘02!

This car will have a second life!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Conserv said:

A matching numbers sunroof tii, even one that might have been appropriately classed as a “parts car” ten years ago — and I haven’t seen enough of yours to suggest whether yours was or was not — is, in many cases, now considered a great project car. Higher values justify greater investment.

Bring a Trailer is skewing away from its... “bring a trailer” roots, so might not be ideal for this rough a car. Lots of photos, lots of stupid comments — alongside intelligent comments — and reserves. This forum might be a better venue, with potential buyers who not only know a lot about (rusty) ‘02’s, but who also know how to find every conceivable piece needed to bring such a car back.

Malaga is a popular color, but Golf, much rarer, is a hot color. A buyer might choose either of these routes, or neither.

Lots of photographs is key, certainly of the VIN and engine numbers, but also, critically, of the rust. Publish this data along with the complete response from BMW Group Archives; that’s the pedigree.

Getting the engine running would be very valuable. And tii’s, even though the seals on the Kugelfischer pump might leak like sieves, have a knack of coming back to life after a long nap! ‘02 A/C was never a factory option. It was generally a dealer-installed option, and owners have been adding it ever since. After I bought the ‘76 in July 1976, I bought a Clardy A/C system, enlisted my father as an assistant, even though he probably knew more about A/C than I, and we installed that system in about ten hours. Yes, my father thought I had lost my mind — for the umpteenth time, no doubt — when we started drilling holes in my brand spanking new ‘02!

This car will have a second life!

Regards,

Steve

Ah! AC was a dealer installed option.  This car has the BEHR system

• Like 1

(edited)

This car is Fred's brother!

This BMW's dates are very close together for a manufacture date and a delivery to Hoffman date. January 28th built and delivered 3 days later on January 31? Hmmm...

Fred was built January 11th, 1974 and delivered January 22 to Hoffman. Also a 74 tii. He was rusty when I found him and the wrong color too, but 3 years and many, many thousands of dollars later, he runs like a champ and looks great.

A non-running rusty car is not worth a lot, or leaves too much room for value to be criticized. A running and driving 74 tii, even looking like yours does, has double the value IMHO, depending on just how much rust there really is.

Nice tii's command over $30k these days, some over 40. Yours will take 20-25 or more to get there depending on how far someone is willing to go, or DIY.  Sky is the limit when people get crazy.

Need a lot more pics.

20190515_150707.jpg

20160310_142705.jpg

Edited by NYNick
  • Like 2

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the third car in this package.  So far, I really like the first two.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluehills2002 said:

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the third car in this package.  So far, I really like the first two.

That one is in the paint shop after having a roll cage installed. Planning on dark blue over white interior. That one is a 1973 and original color was Golf 070

20190617_140353.jpg

• Like 2

That looks like a good project for someone.  So far doesn't look to far beyond the repair spectrum. Still need to see the undercarriage.

I would bring it back to its glory Malaga color.

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

From the pictures you posted, it looks like the rust was a result of leaky windshield seals (rusty front floor) and a leaky trunk seal (spare tire well Swiss cheese).  I'd also check under the back seat, as a leaky backlight will rust out the floor back there.  

The good news is that the rear inner wheel arches look sound--no evident rust; if the inner rockers are also sound, then you can probably chalk up the existing rust to time stored outside with leaks.  You'll also want to examine the underside carefully--if parked outside on gravel or dirt, it's gonna be rusty underneath; on concrete or asphalt, not nearly as much.  So take a couple of swings at the rear subframe with a hammer to make sure it didn't rust through.

So far the rust you've shown is nowhere near insurmountable, especially given that after the cabriolet and Turbo, the squarelight tii is the lowest production 2002--at least in US specs.  In rust country, we'd call that car a restoration project.

mike

• Like 1

I was a big dummy and fixed rust like this on a regular 74 2002 in my driveway. It's a lot of work, but it can be done. Trunk panels went NLA, but I think they're back again. If frame rails are solid, rear suspension mounts are solid and rockers are decent; you have a great starting point.

• Like 1

Search for rust evaluation, take/post important pics, correct/honest description, location, asking price, list in Classified ad section "cars for sale".  

DONE. 

Mac. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NYNick said:

Nice tii's command over $30k these days, some over 40. Yours will take 20-25 or more to get there depending on how far someone is willing to go, or DIY.  Sky is the limit when people get crazy.

OP, please read this part again.  Informed buyers know this, too, and it will reflect on the selling price. (Just trying to help manage expectations- sold my '72 tii in Golf (original)- and the price wasn't what BAT would lead you to believe...)

• Like 1