West Palm 2002

Sunroof install article with pictures needed

8 posts / 330 viewsLast Reply

There is a great article in construction zone but, all pictures are no longer available.

any links or help appreciated 

Fast forward to about 30 minutes in: 

https://jalopnik.com/watch-the-entire-restoration-of-the-perfect-bmw-2002-1749356344

I did a Roundel column on removing, replacing and adjusting sunroof panels; PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

7 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Its first time i see the panel assembled to the cables and cable guides before fitting into the roof.... seems risky with such a delicate painted part...would have thought the normal assembly of the cables and guides into the roof before adding the panel last would be less likely to end in disaster...

Please let me know if I should create a new topic, and I will...

I am waiting for my '74 to be delivered and the sunroof opens and closes, but the rear doesn't rise into place when fully closing.  Am I right in assuming this will most likely be a broken plastic clip?  If so, I would like to order them in advance - is there a good source for these, or will I need to get them 3d printed?

Thanks

(edited)
38 minutes ago, GDI said:

Please let me know if I should create a new topic, and I will...

I am waiting for my '74 to be delivered and the sunroof opens and closes, but the rear doesn't rise into place when fully closing.  Am I right in assuming this will most likely be a broken plastic clip?  If so, I would like to order them in advance - is there a good source for these, or will I need to get them 3d printed?

Thanks

If nothing is broken: there is a metal cleated tab (attached to the cable/roof panel) which one uses just a screw driver to loosen the screw. Then you set the rear closed height and tighten, that is all. 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Thanks 1

If you need cables, consider a pair from a Volvo 240  etc. they are metal and work better

I got a pair from Dave Varco at Aadvark Racing  ----  Perfect   

Also the link to the my tii blog mentioned earlier is good but you should know he installed the felt trim seals incorrectly and later updated the blog.  Its still a good guide

• Thanks 1