bluehills2002

Tire well fit question: Kumho Solus 185/70/13

11 posts / 532 viewsLast Reply

I set out today to purchase a spare Kumho Solus 185/70/13  (which I have on the car) to replace my probably original equipment Michelin,  but I am now wondering whether it would fit in the well. I found some old threads but not a definitive answer, it might just be a case of “your results may vary”  as well depth varied over the years.   I notice on the back of the floorboard concentric rings obviously caused by where the Michelin made contact with the  board, which leads me to believe there is not much room to spare. The only other size I could find local was 175/70/13.   Do any of you with a 74-76 find the Kumho does fit, or do you have a smaller spare?

5BC2525A-923C-4272-8AA0-83086B6BD902.jpeg

463012E0-87F6-410C-BC04-20A648BD4CF9.jpeg

C2681A98-DF46-42D0-8D31-CFACA28CD4E3.jpeg

I have a 74 Tii with the Kumho Solus 185/70/13 tires.  Also the spare.  The floor board does not sit down and is raised slightly.

Didn't think about the fit when I bought the tires.  Not a big problem.

Glen

• Like 1

(edited)

And the answer is.....

Who the hell knows what fits anymore?

Apparently there are now 165/80 tires — I believe they are largely inexpensive, Chinese-manufactured tires such as Nanking’s — that will not fit in the factory spare tire well. It used to be that most 175/70’s fit, but who knows what might fit now.

I can only guarantee that the 165HR13 Michelin XAS still fits any factory spare tire well! 😯

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

not gonna fit...but...why don't you just try it for yourself and see?  no need to ask the internet, you have four of the tires on the car.  take one off and put it in the trunk.  mystery solved.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mlytle said:

not gonna fit...but...why don't you just try it for yourself and see?  no need to ask the internet, you have four of the tires on the car.  take one off and put it in the trunk.  mystery solved.

Ha!   That would have made the most sense. Unfortunately, I don’t have the car with me. I’m going to pick it up and did not want to drive home without a spare. Poor planning on my part.

If it doesn't fit inflated, it may fit deflated. It's not unheard of for manufacturers to use deflated spares to save space. But then you have to carry an air compressor. So much for saving space.

• Like 2

FWIW I just installed five Pirelli CN36 185/70/13’s on my ‘76. I too hadn’t considered the size differential relative to the spare wheel well.
The tire fits nicely in the well, but as others have said, the added width means the trunk floorboard no longer sits level with the other board on the tank side.
This can be improved by removing the small block of wood on the underside of the board that sits on the wheel cap.
In any case it’s tolerable either way.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

185/60 CN36, cover panel trimmed to fit flat.  I use a black carpet piece covering the whole trunk floor day to day.

Don

IMG_1512.jpg

• Thanks 1

(edited)
10 hours ago, dbower said:

Check that.  185/70.  Duh.

😉 But with your arrangement, there’d be no problem with 205/60, or any width tire, so long as the hold-down stud is long enough!  Are you getting close to the limit? (I suppose one could fabricate a hold-down plate that fits into the recess of the rim’s center bore, allowing even wider tires or rims. Heck, even the 1975-76 style round hold-down would reveal a bit more thread on the hold-down stud. Below: 1966-74 rectangular hold-down and 1975-76 round hold-down.)

Best regards,

Steve

CD9201AF-0185-44EE-9E3F-F803B77E184B.jpeg

F73075B2-11CE-4B4B-BCB1-0DA5F7221486.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

I've never really worried about the height difference when carrying the 185/70-13 spare. I have a closed cell foam strip on the tank side, as the original coco or horsehair strip was growing thin and have a trimmed trunk carpet in salt&pepper that covers both sides...I lose a few millimeters in height (ya, euro) and so what....

Andrew