• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii cold start relay

fjord-tii

6 minutes ago, David Layton said:

How is this project going?

Thank you for the reminder, been meaning to update! I've been actively building a test harness to ensure the new cold start relay works and understand behavior. Harness is about 80% complete. I have most components ready to go on the new boards and can then solder up the first round.

I'm going to put up a blog post on this so folks can follow along should they choose. Work slammed me in the last few weeks and so slowed things down a bit, but progress still being made. 

Look for more update this weekend...

~Jason

• Like 3

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

I installed a NOS CS relay unit (from an original orange label box) into my '74 tii and tested the unit, the thermo time switch, and the CSV via McCartney's well presented advice.  Test light stays on and unit will not shut off current to the CSV after the spec time at the spec temp.  Result:  flooding.  I will continue operating the car with the CSV d/c until I find a fix or install a manual button for power to the CSV.  Maybe these units simply go bad over time.

My ever-present Guiding Light of Originality has dimmed. 

Larry

IMG_0378.thumb.jpeg.14caef240f1b7bd96227b9e0b4affa1b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

I installed a NOS CS relay unit (from an original orange label box) into my '74 tii and tested the unit, the thermo time switch, and the CSV via McCartney's well presented advice.  Test light stays on and unit will not shut off current to the CSV after the spec time at the spec temp.  Result:  flooding.  I will continue operating the car with the CSV d/c until I find a fix or install a manual button for power to the CSV.  Maybe these units simply go bad over time.

Larry

I had the same experience Larry, I bought a NOS in-the-box unit and it worked worse than the original unit. Fortunately I was able to return it as it wasn't cheap. Seems like the only solution is someone that is savvy enough to repair these units or the highly anticipated JsnPpp unit (c'mon JsnPpp!) - Rich

On 11/13/2019 at 6:31 PM, fastricky said:

I had the same experience Larry, I bought a NOS in-the-box unit and it worked worse than the original unit. Fortunately I was able to return it as it wasn't cheap. Seems like the only solution is someone that is savvy enough to repair these units or the highly anticipated JsnPpp unit (c'mon JsnPpp!) - Rich

This is the reason to have a test harness, I can get it done today on a single system but long term need the predictability of a rig.  Goal is to focus on it during Thanksgiving break.

One thing I'd like to have is a temperature time switch. This is the switch that is placed in the coolant on the plenum. I have everything else other than that. I'd buy one but they are expensive new. If anyone has one that isn't usable on a car (for instance if the wire leads are or housing is broken) but could be rigged for test use, please let me know!

Cheers,

Jason

Edited by JsnPpp

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

dlacey,

I went the new F 026 T00 001 route, also, some time ago.  It eventually failed and that's when I went with the NOS.  Oh, well.  Thanks for reminding me new ones are still available.  Will try the JsnPpp unit, of which I have reserved two.  Will report results.  Stay tuned...news at 11:00.

Larry

13 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

One thing I'd like to have is a temperature time switch. This is the switch that is placed in the coolant on the plenum. I have everything else other than that. I'd buy one but they are expensive new. If anyone has one that isn't usable on a car (for instance if the wire leads are or housing is broken) but could be rigged for test use, please let me know!

PM sent, Jason. -KB

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 2:58 PM, 2002#3 said:

Larry

But it sure does look pretty! ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Folks,

Started up a blog to document the journey and share progress.

~Jason