• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First 02!!

majdomo

Thrilled to be getting my first 2002 after being in the E30 world for the last few years! VIN is 2585542, being sold and is titled as a 73 but it looks like it's really a 72 according to the VIN lookup? The car is Malaga with a factory 5 speed and original interior, slicktop, some minor rust but no show stoppers. Paint is kinda toast but going to see if I can make it presentable. Oh, and extra body panels - straight hood, doors, trunk lid, and new fenders. 143K miles.

Would upload photos, but I must be slow on how to do this on FAQ...

• Like 1

Sounds like a 5 speed overdrive transmission. Don't think its factory, its a popular upgrade using a transmission from a 320i or early E30.

Factory 5 speeds were the "Dogleg" close ratio transmissions and 5th gear was to the right and down.. I think.

Congrats by the way!

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Per the factory, US spec, carbureted  '73 production began with VIN 2585138.  If your car has the heavy, reinforced front bumper brackets with pointy bumper guards, and the rear bumper on oval brackets standing about two inches away from the body, you have a '73. 

The confusion comes from the factory enumerating production years by calendar year 1 Jan-31 Dec), while we use model year here in the US (generally 1 Sept - 31 Aug) My car's VIN is about 1500 units higher than yours, and was built in Dec '72, but it's most definitely a '73.  Yours was one of the first few hundred '73s off the line, so was probably built in Sept 72.  An e-mail to BMW Classic with your VIN will result in a response with the car's build date and original color, and to whom it was delivered (either the US importer, Hoffman Motors, or to a dealer in Europe, which would indicate European delivery to a US military or diplomatic person).  

Anyway, welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority.  Lotsa helpful folks here.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 9/28/2019 at 8:53 AM, majdomo said:

Did a search but couldn’t find it, is the only factory 5 speed a dogleg setup?

Yes, 235/5 Getrag transmissions were the only factory installed 5 speed transmissions for the BMW 2002.  The were all dogleg setups with options for different gear ratios based on your application.

Mark92131

http://www.bimmers.com/02/faq/transmission.html

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

On 9/28/2019 at 7:56 AM, majdomo said:

as diagrammed on the dash it's a 5 speed with 5th up and to the right.

FAQ member Mo Faraz produced five speed decals for the dash. 

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

FAQ member Mo Faraz produced five speed decals for the dash. 

I found that in the FAQ, that’s probably what happened. It also has no fasten seatbelt light on the dash, so may have been a Euro replacement?

This is so fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 10:17 AM, majdomo said:

Thrilled to be getting my first 2002 after being in the E30 world for the last few years! VIN is 2585542, being sold and is titled as a 73 but it looks like it's really a 72 according to the VIN lookup? The car is Malaga with a factory 5 speed and original interior, slicktop, some minor rust but no show stoppers. Paint is kinda toast but going to see if I can make it presentable. Oh, and extra body panels - straight hood, doors, trunk lid, and new fenders. 143K miles.

Would upload photos, but I must be slow on how to do this on FAQ...

Congratulations!

BMW Group Archives only tracks cars by calendar year, not model year. Model years generally run from approximately September 1 through August 31.

My records show VIN 2585139 as the first U.S.-spec 1973 model 2002.  I’m guessing that car was manufactured somewhere around September 1, 1972. Your new car, VIN 2585542, obviously post-dates the first 1973 model, so is perhaps a September or October 1972 car.  Send an email with the VIN to BMW Group Archives and request their data on the car. They’ll provide, quickly and at no cost, the actual manufacturing date and the factory color. Their email address is info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com.

And after you’ve received the car’s data from Archives, please enter it in the Registry.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Steve

OOPS: Mike S. explained this all already!

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

That was quick!

Dear Mr Majdomo,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2585542 was manufactured on October 20th, 1972 and delivered on October 26th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2