KwikFiVo

M10 Rebuild - Which Bolts to Replace?

7 posts / 270 viewsLast Reply

Hi,

I am doing a basic rebuild and am curious which bolts I must replace (I would like to re-use as many as possible).

Thank you,

Bob

It will make a difference which engine you are working on.  If it is a M10 and you are doing a stock build (no big cams, compression ratio, or over 6500 rpm rev limit) I would recommend you replace the connecting rod bolts and nuts just because you have no idea if someone in the past has over torqued them or it has been over-reved badly in the past.  Everything else should be ok to reuse.  If you are working on a M20 there are a number of fasteners that are single use.  

6 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

It will make a difference which engine you are working on.  If it is a M10 and you are doing a stock build (no big cams, compression ratio, or over 6500 rpm rev limit) I would recommend you replace the connecting rod bolts and nuts just because you have no idea if someone in the past has over torqued them or it has been over-reved badly in the past.  Everything else should be ok to reuse.  If you are working on a M20 there are a number of fasteners that are single use.  

It is an M10, stock build.

Will replacing the rod bolts require the rod ends to be resized?

My Haynes manual says to replace the flywheel bolts, but nothing about the clutch bolts.  Any thoughts on those?

Thank you,

Bob

Yes on the rod bolts and I would do the flywheel bolts also the dished head on the f/w bolts is old style metric for stretch bolts although the stock 02 doesn't  stress them that much but your foot is only about 4" from the flywheel. 

12 hours ago, KwikFiVo said:

It is an M10, stock build.

Will replacing the rod bolts require the rod ends to be resized?

My Haynes manual says to replace the flywheel bolts, but nothing about the clutch bolts.  Any thoughts on those?

Thank you,

Bob

You should not need to resize the big ends the bolts are not a hard press into the rod (if I was building a race engine I would check the rods with the new bolts torqued to spec.)

Flywheel bolts are probably not a bad idea (just make sure you get the right ones, there are long and short)  and make sure you have the alignment dowel in the crank to locate the flywheel.  The Pressure plate bolts should be 10.9 grade,  I'm not a fan of 8.8 grade bolts here, it would not surprise me if someone in the past has used them.

Honestly, while I do replace rod bolts too, on a 'full rebuild' engine, 

I don't think there's a single fastener on the 2002

that NEEDS to be replaced.  The flywheel

bolts are SO understressed that they'll outlast the

crank. 

If you're just tossing rings and bearings at it, don't worry.

If it's a full trip to the machine shop, I'd use the ARP rod bolts

and then never think about them again. 

There is an increasing danger that the bolts you'll use to

replace the 'old' bolts won't be as good- there are a LOT

of counterfeit fasteners out there, and the BMW parts chain

for older cars is... porous, as they say.

what I do.

t

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, TobyB said:

There is an increasing danger that the bolts you'll use to

replace the 'old' bolts won't be as good- there are a LOT

of counterfeit fasteners out there, and the BMW parts chain

for older cars is... porous, as they say.

^ Sage. -KB