conkitchen

is it art?

24 posts / 851 viewsLast Reply

5 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

This is how it was done at the factory. Referenced an original unrestored '73 Tii that was at the shop.

You're going to hate this-

it very much depended on which color the car was.  The Atlantik cars often didn't get any black,

the darker colors only on the hood supports, and the white/bright neon yellow/other screaming colors

cars got the whole thing done.

With a brush.

In a hurry.

BMW was trying to stamp out affordable cars in a hurry, but they were stuck with their 'coachbuilding'

traditions, so I imagine there was some grumping about this.

Now here's what I've seen:  How much black the 'intermediate' color cars got seems to have varied.

So what a darker color got from Schmidt after lunch on Friday might have been less than what Lisel did

on Tuesday morning.  And the quality seems to vary, too...

fwiw.

t

leaves it all body color.

• Like 1

As Toby said it was mostly on the light/bright colors and the area covered could be just the hood supports and nothing else or most of the cavity and it was just slopped on by hand brush strokes and all. 

1 hour ago, adawil2002 said:

Toby, this stuff doesn't bother me in the least.

How about an image with a turbo and a turd in a toilet bowl? 🙂 

• Haha 1

I like your exhaust system.  Curious if it’s the stainless turbo from  Wallothnesch? Thanks

3 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

I like your exhaust system.  Curious if it’s the stainless turbo from  Wallothnesch? Thanks

It's the rustless stock from Ansa, you're welcome. :-) 

(edited)

Both my Nevada '69 and my Sahara '73 came from the factory with the hood supports hastily painted a semi-gloss black--with a brush--right over the hood bolts, so obviously after the body paint was applied but before the grilles were installed.  But neither car had the panels on each side of the radiator painted black; they were left body color--in both cases a relatively light color.  

I can't recall seeing a known "factory original" car with those radiator side panels painted anything other than body color...including white and silver cars.

mike

Edited by mike
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to drift, no locking tabs on your water pump/rad fan...hope they are loctited...

10 hours ago, dlacey said:

Sorry to drift, no locking tabs on your water pump/rad fan...hope they are loctited...

Wave washers-hang ten

• Like 1