NYNick

So I went to the dump and...

21 posts / 1044 viewsLast Reply

...they weigh your vehicle on the way in and then on the way out. This is how they determine how much to charge you for the stuff you dump. I figured with a little charm and charisma I could get them to just tell me how much Fred weighed with me in it...I know how much I weigh already.

Sure enough, there's a woman in the weigh booth. Smile, charm etc. Sure enough, I get the number. Not the most accurate I'm sure, but good enough for now. Subtracting my weight and contents, it came to....drumroll please....

2200.8 with half a tank!

Guess my weight loss program was effective! Cruising around the internet I found varying stock weights from the factory, one of which was this article stating 2420 lbs.:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/05/31/big-bumper-bimmer-1974-bmw-2002tii-brochure/

Of course there are others stating 2355 lbs. or so. Either way, that means I trimmed from 150 to 220 lbs off of Fred! Awesome.

My next try will be the local truck stop scales. Worth giving them a shot as well.

Nick

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Guy Cocquyt said:

Gasoline is roughly 10lbs per gallon, so you could estimate a dry weight using that times the est'd number of gallons in a half tank.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

I was just in Alberta. What a gorgeous province!

Thanks Guy.

• Like 1

Gasoline is roughly 6lbs per gallon,

since it floats on water...

I went through the dump the other day, and the Ferd weighs in at just under #5000 with me in it.

the 2002 race car at #2000 with me NOT in it.

the E30 race car at #2570 with me NOT in it

the open trailer at #760 with the race car not on it, nor the truck hitched to it.

The dog weighs #105 now.  Jeezus

t

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Guy Cocquyt said:

You must have been here in summer. We may get our first snow next Friday! Winter's coming.91629580d29e315f7b29784e01c3b40f.jpg

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Snow, what’s that? 😜

15 hours ago, TobyB said:

since it floats on water...

I went through the dump the other day, and the Ferd weighs in at just under #5000 with me in it.

the 2002 race car at #2000 with me NOT in it.

the E30 race car at #2570 with me NOT in it

the open trailer at #760 with the race car not on it, nor the truck hitched to it.

The dog weighs #105 now.  Jeezus

t

I was thinking about this and your race car. You must have a literal shell and a lot of fiberglass and plexiglass to get to 2000 lbs!

20 hours ago, NYNick said:

Guess my weight loss program was effective! Cruising around the internet I found varying stock weights from the factory, one of which was this article stating 2420 lbs.:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/05/31/big-bumper-bimmer-1974-bmw-2002tii-brochure/

Of course there are others stating 2355 lbs. or so. Either way, that means I trimmed from 150 to 220 lbs off of Fred! Awesome.

Nice, got a list of things you've done to reduce weight?

4 hours ago, xr4tic said:

Nice, got a list of things you've done to reduce weight?

Well, it's obviously not for everybody because a lot of youse guys (get it? NY Nick?) like your cars original. I decided to make this one my own, purism be damned.

First thing to go were the 74 pound 1974 impact bumpers and attachments

A/C was next.

Console next.

Rear seat next.

Battery switch to LiPho

Sound deadening (ice, ice baby!)

I'm sure there's more. That's just off the top of my head.

Nick

Nick, you coulda just bought an early roundie...IIRC when the 68's were road tested the test weight was given as 2060 lbs--actually less than an MGB...

mike

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 2:01 PM, NYNick said:

I was just in Alberta. What a gorgeous province!

Nick, I assume you were probably in Banff or Jasper?  The Canadian Rockies I believe, are among the most scenic in the world. 

If you come up again, post a thread.  There are lots of 02ers in Calgary and a few of us up in Edmonton that would be happy to grab a beer with you and show you around. 

Don

14 minutes ago, DonP said:

Nick, I assume you were probably in Banff or Jasper?  The Canadian Rockies I believe, are among the most scenic in the world. 

If you come up again, post a thread.  There are lots of 02ers in Calgary and a few of us up in Edmonton that would be happy to grab a beer with you and show you around. 

Don

Yes Don, you're correct. As well as Kamloops, Quesnel and Whistler. We were on the Rocky Mountaineer. Those were some of the most dramatic, jaw droppingly beautiful sights of any we've ever seen.