ssp2019

Refueling solution, no spill

16 posts / 647 viewsLast Reply

Passing it forward. Last year I met a very enthusiastic couple from Coronado, CA at a Farmer's Market, who introduced themselves when they saw my 2002.  They were so nice and I can't remember their names, but they sent me this video and picture of a simple fix to the refueling spills we all get with modern fuel pumps and our vintage gasoline tank spouts.  Not sure if it has been discussed here, but it works like a charm.  Just need a foot long piece of marine fuel line available at your local West Marine store, size is around 2" or 2 1/2" or 2 1/4".  Very inexpensive.  No spills.  Here's their video and photo.  Enjoy

IMG_0732.JPG

• Like 1

I use something very similar out of PVC.

Worth noting that this is only a problem for us CA folk, and there are many people in this audience not in CA  😀

Oh it's not just CA. Seattle area has the same problem. Anybody with a big vapor boot. I would shorten the hose down a bunch to make your life easier, but that's me.

Same here in TX but the Kroger pumps are very 02 friendly and so thats where I go to fillerup!

Oregon has just relaxed the rules a little, but for the most part, we Oregonians are considered too incompetent to fill up our own gas tanks. 

So the difficult fill up and fuel spill is the gas station attendant's problem. Not mine....😎

PS: I am being snarky. I have a commercial card lock so I get to fill up my own tank, and there are no vapor recovery condoms on the nozzles. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Oregon has just relaxed the rules a little, but for the most part, we Oregonians are considered too incompetent to fill up our own gas tanks. 

So the difficult fill up and fuel spill is the gas station attendant's problem. Not mine....😎

PS: I am being snarky. I have a commercial card lock so I get to fill up my own tank, and there are no vapor recovery condoms on the nozzles. 

I've had at least one or two attendants cuss me out in Oregon for pumping my own gas. I then proceed to cuss them back out sighting they'll spill gas all down my car. Don't miss living down there lol!

How does one prevent filling up the hose and keeping fuel out of the vent at the top of the filler neck?  Do you just put in a known, smaller amount so that there is no risk of overfilling?

I'm in CA as well but I've figured out a technique that has so far, proven 100% successful.  I insert the nozzle only as far as necessary to allow the boot sensor to trip but I tilt it up, which sends the fuel "right down the throat", without having to negotiate that elbow near the top of the filler neck.  Plus, I don't pump at full speed; it's fast enough that it doesn't drive you nuts.

5 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

I've had at least one or two attendants cuss me out in Oregon for pumping my own gas. I then proceed to cuss them back out sighting they'll spill gas all down my car. Don't miss living down there lol!

I had one of those minimum-wage idiots hit the emergency pump shut-off and call the cops on me for doing it. The cops then proceeded to bully me for 20 minutes while they tried to figure out what law I broke. Finally they told me it was under the jurisdiction of the fire marshall.

Pumping your own gas. Perfectly fine in 48 states. In Oregon, DISPENSATION OF DANGEROUS FLAMMABLE SUBSTANCE.7DCA7524-110A-4FF2-8C4A-1A3282D50972.thumb.jpeg.f5b1c5784f8f5e7b67dbfd397349f067.jpeg

23 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

Oh it's not just CA. Seattle area has the same problem. Anybody with a big vapor boot. I would shorten the hose down a bunch to make your life easier, but that's me.

I've found that the easiest way to fill without an adapter is to rotate the whole pump nozzle so the hose is pointing in the 4-5 o clock position, then pump slowly, listening for the sound of fuel filling up into the neck. I've had a couple splashes using this technique but it's served me well otherwise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Geoff Raynak said:

how about this solution?

never spill a drop!

image.thumb.png.1194e52d2f46a112f57eb4a742a088b0.png

What's the range per charge?

we are still testing the throttle mapping ... but ~100 miles with a respectable pace

less if you want to impress your friends

more if you limit the current ... but current translates to horsepower ... 

BUT ... back to the topic ... 

some of the above solutions look a bit like the 'lady j'

https://www.campmor.com/c/lady-j-80976

I've never had this issue in CA honestly.

I usually fuel with the handle upside down though.

Several reasons why I had our business get the card lock for this Oregonian. 

1. Don't have to deal with an idiot attendant that really doesn't know how to do his "very complex" task. 

2. Gas is cheaper because I don't have to sponsor the idiot Gas Jockey. 

3. Many of the card lock stations have ethanol-free premium gas. 

4. I get back into the groove of filling up my own tank, clean my windows properly, check the oil, water and air if I want to. (the stations are not busy) 

5. After doing #4 for awhile, there is less of a chance of me looking foolish pulling into a gas station in CA and WA and sit there waiting for the non-existent Gas Jockey to come out and fill my car up. 😜

• Like 1