• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help: Dashes

Teelinger

I also had no idea that clock hole was going to be there, I didn't see any indication of it being a straight through hole through the CORE as well before starting this work. Kinda nice I guess?

Edited by Spyke

31436374517_8d8d287049_o.jpg.2d76303dce729a94519ce58b66156f83.jpg

3 hours ago, Spyke said:

....Though I would have preferred powder coating, it is just a decent satin black paint job. I intend to pad the bottom with felt or thin foam/carpet to prevent rattles, and install it in the car in this form.

The same process was done to the center/shift surround.

Very cool!  I mean to say that NOT EVERYONE should do this to their pristine, one-owner, numbers-matching ‘02, but it should be done to at least one ‘02. I picture — not that I’m spending night and day thinking about this — some of the colored wiring would be visible, but beautifully organized and trained along the underside and backside of the dash, visible through the holes.... ?

I’m going to leave it there, before someone accuses me of “restomodding”! ?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 9/18/2019 at 12:43 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

I'd like to be certain of that as someday I  have to cut a hole in a 72 dash for my clock. I can see the imprint in the foam at the back.  It would be nice not to have to cut through metal. 

My 69 3 piece had the hole on the back but I found it on accident when I was cutting in for a ti clock.  I measured my tii for proper placement  and then discovered the metal hole.  It is best to remove the dash if able as trying to access the rear to tighten the bracket and nut is a PITA.  With the dash out, you can measure for placement then use a scribe to gently poke from the rear and you'll discover the hole, without puncturing the front of your dash.

Edited by Carlos_M
need to add more info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

5 hours ago, Conserv said:

Very cool!  I mean to say that NOT EVERYONE should do this to their pristine, one-owner, numbers-matching ‘02, but it should be done to at least one ‘02. I picture — not that I’m spending night and day thinking about this — some of the colored wiring would be visible, but beautifully organized and trained along the underside and backside of the dash, visible through the holes.... ?

I’m going to leave it there, before someone accuses me of “restomodding”! ?

Regards,

Steve

Right there with you. I tend to take old neglected, too far to save BMW's and then do my own thing with them. 

This 72 Colorado is as unspecial as they come, save for it being a roundie and Colorado. It was run hard with apparently zero upkeep, eventually sideswiped something and then rusted away in a tow yard until I found it.

Under the dash core no wiring will be visible, however the interior Colorado paint will peekaboo through the dash skeleton holes and should look pretty sweet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carlos_M said:

My 69 3 piece had the hole on the back but I found it on accident when I was cutting in for a ti clock.  I measured my tii for proper placement  and then discovered the metal hole.  It is best to remove the dash if able as trying to access the rear to tighten the bracket and nut is a PITA.  With the dash out, you can measure for placement then use a scribe to gently poke from the rear and you'll discover the hole, without puncturing the front of your dash.

Well I  just took a gander at where I thought the hole/perforation oughta be and took aim with a pointy knife and jabbed it at the center of my approximation. And then peeled pieces back.

:D 

You way sounds much more civilized,

Cheers,

Edited by ray_
bd kybrd
  • Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 9/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, ray_ said:

Well I  just took a gander at where I thought the hole/perforation oughta be and took aim with a pointy knife and jabbed it at the center of my approximation. And then peeled pieces back.

You way sounds much more civilized,

Cheers,

Did you actually enjoy that? The idea of sticking something sharp in my clock hole makes me uneasy. 

On 9/17/2019 at 9:16 AM, Teelinger said:

Looking for help finding a manufacturing resource:

I've been trading messages with the guys at Vintage Dashes, https://instagram.com/vintagedashes?igshid=19hbnstvpzg3k

They are in the midst of developing after market replacement dashes for 2002s, all 3 styles. They've run into a prototyping issue and are looking for a resource to machine stamp metal frames to adhere the reproduction dash pad to. Does anyone have a resource recommendation, referral, or suggestion for them?

If so, reply here, or contact them directly at VintageDashes@gmail.com

The work they've done for old Datsuns look awesome. And like many of you, I desperately need a new dash that I don't need to sell an organ to afford. I would love if the community could help them come up with a cost effective solution for our cars.

Cheers, James

Thanks James for starting the thread and helping me out. I'm Hung, I started Vintage Dashes with Datsun.  I wanted to be more open and engaged with the 02 community so I finally joined FAQ. 

Currently, we are looking for badly cracked 02 dashes in badly cracked condition  to do more R&D. Due to the fact the 02 had metal frame molded into the foam, we will need to make frames before we have the foam made. 

• Like 1

One came to my head today from a while back, Restoration Design. There's also Valcas Garage. Saw them on FB today offering 2002 patch panels. Either one may be able to make a dash core.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

3 hours ago, theguppies-VD said:

I'm local to you. I would love to see that with gloves on. LOL

You've got a PM, Hung

Luckily, I don't believe any part of it is dangerously sharp either!

-Gregg

Edited by Spyke