Teelinger

Help: Dashes

26 posts / 1294 viewsLast Reply

Looking for help finding a manufacturing resource:

I've been trading messages with the guys at Vintage Dashes, https://instagram.com/vintagedashes?igshid=19hbnstvpzg3k

They are in the midst of developing after market replacement dashes for 2002s, all 3 styles. They've run into a prototyping issue and are looking for a resource to machine stamp metal frames to adhere the reproduction dash pad to. Does anyone have a resource recommendation, referral, or suggestion for them?

If so, reply here, or contact them directly at VintageDashes@gmail.com

The work they've done for old Datsuns look awesome. And like many of you, I desperately need a new dash that I don't need to sell an organ to afford. I would love if the community could help them come up with a cost effective solution for our cars.

Cheers, James

• Like 6

I'm not sure that the OEM dash has a metal armature underneath the foam--at least for the 2 and 3 piece dashes.  Aren't they all foam and plastic?  i've never cut one open but have seen 'em with pretty deep cracks and they look like they're all foam.

mike

@mike based on my conversation with them, unlike Datsun dashes which are molded pads that mount directly on to dash frames, 02 dashes have an internal structure that forms a frame within the foam. They're exploring a modified 02 version where they create a separate mounting frame, and a molded foam pad. It'll look the same externally, just mount differently underneath. 

What they're looking for is a supplier to create the mounting frame. 

James

• Like 1

True, 2002 dashes have an internal thin metal frame.  To tell you the truth, I don't see any reason why they couldn't just make it similar to the Datsun dash. 

• Like 3

(edited)
1 hour ago, Spyke said:

Dash core:

14733788252_2aee073fb4_b.jpg

Center console/shift surround core:

13773552674_a5bece50e4_b.jpg

I’m guessing these are an original dash and shift surround (“first style,” not the later plastic) that have been carefully stripped and then... powdercoated? Painted?

They’re actually quite cool. Given the zillion different ways we customize our ‘02’s, I’m shocked I’ve never before seen these items laid bare! Someone should have an ‘02 with these exposed!

What’s your plan?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Conserv said:

What’s your plan?

SteamPunk of course!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It would seem to me that there are plenty of metal cores in our garages. I wonder if they considered reusing the original frames. I can vouch for four.

Dan

• Like 1

My understanding was that all dashes had that hole, and that they only cut it out of the foam cover for Tii clocks. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Teelinger said:

My understanding was that all dashes had that hole

I'd like to be certain of that as someday I  have to cut a hole in a 72 dash for my clock. I can see the imprint in the foam at the back.  It would be nice not to have to cut through metal. 

6 hours ago, Teelinger said:

My understanding was that all dashes had that hole, and that they only cut it out of the foam cover for Tii clocks. 

Not absolutely all dashes were prepared for tii clocks. For instance, very early cars — pre-ti? — had no pre-drilled clock holes, not all RHD dashes has holes.  On the other hand, I’ve consistently seen both LHD two-piece dashes (April 1971 through August 1974) and LHD single-piece dashes (September 1974 through July 1976) with pre-drilled holes.

Regards,

Steve

My '73 originally automatic car dash had the perforations.

Steve, is the factory hole still available? :D

Cheers,

• Haha 2

Mine are from my 72 Colorado. The car came with a MISERABLY cracked and abused dash, and I tend to build my cars a bit.... different than everyone else.

I painstakingly carved off all the large swaths of foam from the stock dash, knowing there was a skeleton in there (but not what type). Then I used a soft wire wheel to brush away some more, then sanded everything else away.

Though I would have preferred powder coating, it is just a decent satin black paint job. I intend to pad the bottom with felt or thin foam/carpet to prevent rattles, and install it in the car in this form.

The same process was done to the center/shift surround.

• Like 3