ClassDavid

1970 BMW 2002

16 posts / 2804 viewsLast Reply

new fenders and rockers! that's a bonus for sure. 50 g's if I did the resto myself is def' possible.

Shops doing alot of the work...not so much

*shipping and registration tax will cut into the budget

The appeal is there. Not too many have real Alpina's. Imagine daily driving an Alpina around...pretty cool

I'd love to see a member here end up

with the car instead of a flipper (selling it to a collector who'll never drive it)

Curious minds want to know. Are those fenders flared as per Alpina? I was of the belief that if Alpina breathed on a 2002 it might have gotten pig cheeks or possibly box flares, These look enlarged but nothing like what I have seen before from Alpina. 

but what do I know

Edited by conkitchen

2 hours ago, mccusername said:

Alpina definitely did smaller flares-- now sure when they started, or if that's what's on this car.

@ClassDavid Do you have a receipt/options list from Alpina for this car?

It would have had no fairs. I have the full 10 page options list from Alpina on this car. Its quite cool! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ClassDavid said:

It would have had no fairs. I have the full 10 page options list from Alpina on this car. Its quite cool! 

+1

This is before Alpina was legally a car manufacturer. They were simply a tuner. This car had to pass U.S. Customs under its own, BMW, specs. So they were just nipping around the edges with the mods. No fender flares. Many (perhaps most!) of the U.S.-bound cars didn’t even get engine mods due to the need to pass EPA standards: time-consuming and expensive. These early cars were also, almost as a rule, un-marked: no stripes, no Alpina badges — all that happened a bit later. The Alpina cars got gaudy during the square taillight years... 😯

Given how perfectly this rare car is documented, and how well equipped it was, it’s highest value would be achieved by losing the flares, installing a set of 5 1/2” Alpina steelies (i.e., round holes), and mounting a set of 185/70VR13 Pirelli CN36’s.... 👍

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

I doubt these flares are real either, but this car was delivered to Canada so more possibility of Alpina goodies-- perhaps that's why it got the hot engine it did.

David, if you give me the car, and Steve, you give the perfect fenders and quarters, I will make the swap happen.

Here's a thread about the real Alpina flares--

• Like 1