Seth Horwitz

New Strut Options

17 posts / 959 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys. It’s bewn a bit. My understanding is that the Bilstein HD fronts, or equivalent, are still NLA. Has anyone found them, recently? If not, what’s a suitable alternative? I already have a car where I can feel the paint from the traffic lines, and it rattles my fillings, so I’m looking for something a bit softer than the Sports for my 2002. Thanks for any info. 

Seth

Konis?

Or...find someone with a set of HD's who lusts for a set of Sports and switchy-swappee...

mike

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dirving said:

I got Koni Sports from Bimmerworld a month ago to replace my Billy sports. World of difference. Love them. 

Were the Sports just too much, and these a bit softer?

On 9/14/2019 at 9:13 AM, no1uno said:

Hello Seth,

After having a set on backorder for almost two years, I ended up ordering a set from a German company on ebay.  It took about two weeks for delivery.  USD was just under $290 shipped.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/192985555070?ViewItem=&item=192985555070

Great info. Are these new old stock? Were they in stock at the seller? Seems odd that a German dealer can get them whereas a U.S. dealer couldn’t. 

^ def' Koni Sports! They're rebound damping' adjustable. Bilsteins are NOT.

Personally I like the damping curve of Koni's better than Bilsteins

Edited by iinca

I bought Bilsteins HD struts from bilstein-shocks.co.uk

Real seal.  It took a couple of weeks.  Looks like any other bilsteins I've ordered for other cars.

4 hours ago, Seth Horwitz said:

Great info. Are these new old stock? Were they in stock at the seller? Seems odd that a German dealer can get them whereas a U.S. dealer couldn’t. 

Probably NOS.  New and in new packaging with correct part number.  Don't know if there's a mfg date somewhere on insert.  I was happy to get them to go with the rears purchased two years ago.

I personally don't like ANY Bilsteins on the street 'cause of their digressive valving

scared0016.gif

1 hour ago, jp5Touring said:

Mine came with Bilstein and H&R springs.  I thought that was all the rage for a while, no ? 

You can’t get a full set of Bilsteins from any U.S. distributor, anymore, it seems. 

Edited by Seth Horwitz

Were the Sports just too much, and these a bit softer?

Note that the difference between HD and Sport Bilstein shocks is the distance the shock will extend.  HD shocks are for OEM or somewhat shorter springs while Sport shocks go with the short springs for a track suspension.

Larry