Slavs

Not a BMW, but a reflection of out of control prices

39 posts / 1936 viewsLast Reply

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/napa-1966-porsche-912-coupe/6956946410.html

Up until about 2010 a Porsche 912 was a very affordable classic car. You could have picked up a very clean example for about $8,000. And, now this ?

I'm familiar with the 356 and 912 Porsches as I worked on them from time to time. I think that the 912 is in many ways much more practical and economical compared to the 911.

But recently their prices have sky rocketed, and they have become quite a status symbol among the new young professionals who have recently acquired them here in Los Angeles. One would think they just acquired a 356GS Carrera of 550 spyder. "Oh, I recently bought an 02, but you know, I own a 912". OK ! So what. What's the big deal ?  912 owners once cowered, exclaiming "Well I couldn't afford a 911, it's my first car" etc. But now, it's an all together different matter. Recently, I went to one of these "Cars & Coffee" events in LA where a bunch of these 912 Yahoos were hanging out. I found them so obnoxious that I will never go again. It's just a 912, and in the end it's just a car.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

(edited)

Yup, I sold my pristine black 69 912 in 2003 for $4200!

Edited by resra
  • Sad 1

The excitement over P-cars is unnatural.  Folks will pay big money for even the red-headed-stepchildren of P-cars.  912s, 914-4s, 924s, 928s, 968s - all great cars, in their own special way, but not $75k great.  I think this guy is smoking something, though, as the 912s I've seen tend to land about half that, maybe a bit more (which IMHO is still over priced).

But, we benefit!!! I think the P-car craze spills over and it's largely responsible for our '02s selling for what they are.

• Like 2

😴 😴 😴 💤 💤 💤 💤 😴 😴 😴 

• Haha 3

Keep let'n the P car guys stroke each other and they will stay out of our lowly underworld hopefully.....besides the California guys that sold their cars for +160k (that they paid 30k for) and then go and buy/restore/build a '02 for +65k or more are the ones driving that West Coast market......I believe.  Get out of California and 2002 prices are pretty fair (for the most part) it seems.........

I miss my '67 and can't afford to buy one now. I sold mine for $7200. One in similar condition today is conservatively $40k.

I learned a lot with that car and really enjoyed the helpful forum of like minded folks. The Porsche snobs would make fun of our lowly 912s. We just smiled about our cheap little gems. I remember posts about derogatory comments by 911 owners.

My how times change.

It is a lovely little car but it's crazy to me what they want for them today. I still miss it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Everyone should have one in the garage🙄

C0403128-8791-4443-BF7F-24E76479EE78.jpeg

• Like 4

1969 Porsche 912 Non-Sun Roof Coupe. Chassis/VIN number 129020137. Paint code 68-6808-G (Burgundy Red). 15,924 miles on the odometer. Accident damage to right front. Missing engine, transmission, interior, body panels, and wheels. Solid dash, rockers, rear clip, quarter panels, and roof. This is for complete restoration or parts car. For $5,000.00

Ya think?  Complete restoration or parts car....yes indeed.  Ya, five grand.  912.

8091242.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I sold my 912 E last year, Only reason I didn't keep was it was a 1976 so I still had to smog or I'd probably still own it

DSC00816.JPG

• Like 3

EVERYTHING from NAPA is priced at TWICE(or three times) what it should be. ( cars, wine, etc.etc).  IMHO.

Mac. 

3 hours ago, COOP said:

😴 😴 😴 💤 💤 💤 💤 😴 😴 😴 

A discriminating enthusiast no doubt 

That can't be an asking price for a sale.

you should confirm that he'll pay you $16500 cash when you haul it out of his yard for him/her 

Mac. 

• Haha 2