SteadFast

Valve adjustment, now feels slower

11 posts / 333 viewsLast Reply

I recently bought a 1975 2002, it has a decently modified engine:

304 cam 

dual weber 45's 

10.5:1 compression

MSD

When I bought it, it sounded like a sewing machine on steroids.  This afternoon I did a valve adjustment to .01 (per the schrick recomendations for my cam).  The past adjustments were all out of wack (see pic)  In the process I found a few stripped eccentric bolts which have now all be replaced.  I also replaced the plugs (BP6ES) and wires (8mm from IE).  The car started right up, and runs great.  It no longer sounds like a industrial sewing machine.  It now feels slower...  Any thoughts why that may be?  I'm installing a wideband this weekend to see what my A/F looks like.  I feel like it is running pig rich.  Is it possible now that I've corrected the valves that the carbs are not tuned correctly?  

OlXcVXXl.jpg?1

zGYS89Jl.jpg

Edited by SteadFast

So, are you saying that your valves are adjusted to, .0010, ten thousandths of an inch?   If so you're right on.

Have you checked for "full throttle"?  Just Sayin' 

Go to at least .008  not .006 at all, I would run .010 with a shrick cam     That tight right now is your problem, performance cams like more clearance, gives better valve overlap.   It should sound like a loud sewing machine  nice and even

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coloincaalpine said:

valves are adjusted to, .0010, ten thousandths of an inch

Did you mean 0.010 inch?  That's what 0.25 mm comes out at rounded to the nearest thousandth.

1 minute ago, stephers said:

Go to at least .008  not .006 at all, I would run .010 with a shrick cam     That tight right now is your problem, performance cams like more clearance, gives better valve overlap.   It should sound like a loud sewing machine  nice and even

I am currently set to .01.  Prior to my new adjustment, with the exception of cyl 2 (both stripped eccentric), everything was set to .005.  I'm wondering if I should go back to .005.  Keep in mind that I have 10.5 compression and dual valve springs.  

No  do not do that, set them at .010 thou     Better to check to make sure that the rockers and rocker shaft is not worn causing looseness.   Especially with dual springs         Question to ask, are you setting the valves when they are in the right place to adjust?     Just before doing the adjustment, remove the circlip ( don't lose it ) and slide the rocker over to check rocker shaft wear, if it is ok, put the circlip back in and adjust your valves.  If not ok, bigger problem.   

Remember, these engines do not run real quiet, there will be some, should be, some rocker noise

Are you measuring in INCHES or Millimeters?  The Schrick specification is 0.25MM or 0.01inches.  You can run as tight as 0.008inch and you measure between the tip of the valve and the eccentric (NOT between the cam and rocker arm) 

Turns out my old plugs didn't require the little screw on tops with the stock 7mm wires.  So I assumed the new plugs and 8mm wires were the same.  Turns out they were not making good contact and ran like crap.  Put the little tops back on and bam, runs like a champ.  Thanks for everyones help. 

• Like 1

Also for others that may come across this thread.  I adjusted the valves to .25mm/.01inches.  And it runs great.