Sign in to follow this  
rjd2

Tii pistons vs stock '02 pistons

3 posts / 215 viewsLast Reply

Hi folks-so my local engine block shop is going over the lower block from a stock 2002 for me. They want to replace the pistons due to wear, but they are finding pistons that are rated for a Tii motor(they can't be returned apparently). Before ordering, he wants to try to verify that they are identical. My understanding is that they are, but I wanted to ask here, as you folks would know better than I do. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

(edited)

Diameters are identical between 2002 and 2002tii cylinders and pistons.  I suspect by “tii” they are referring to compression ratios: U.S.-spec tii’s came originally with compression ratios of 9.0 to 9.5 while U.S.-spec 2002’s originally came with compression ratios of 8.0 to 8.7.  Lots of 2002’s, by now, use higher compression ratio pistons for added power. My ‘76, for instance, came with 8.3 compression ratio pistons, but now has a 9.3 compression ratio.  Of course, it now runs on premium fuel, a necessary component of the “upgrade”.

Your machine shop should also know that, except for flat-top pistons (generally 8.0 to 8.3 compression ratios), the pistons need to be matched to the head.  For example, your car’s head is likely a 121, an E12, or an E21. Unless the pistons have flat (flush with the block’s deck) tops, they must be shaped for the appropriate head’s combustion chambers.

My summary is perhaps an oversimplification, but I’m hoping it, at least, points you in the right direction!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

To elaborate on conserv’s post.

step 1) identify which version of m10 cylinder head your motor is running.  This mark is cast on the intake side of the head (e21, 121, etc.)

step 2) cylinder head type coordinates to the shape of the piston (pop-up).

step 3)  The height of the “pop-up” relative to the face of the top of the piston coordinates to possible compression ratio (the taller the pop up, the higher the compression ratio).

***it is best to do away with the notion of “tii pistons” as these days that means little, given the number of m10s that have been modified/changed.

If you need some visual references, see this thread (

)

• Like 1