GavBak

Interior dejunked - Blue 02

13 posts / 440 viewsLast Reply

This thing keeps looking more and more solid. Eventually I'll pull the carpet but it doesn't seem rotten....anywhere.e8190865d3fdfc42b5958b10cdbb635e.jpg091bd31092face8750b8fd2dec6b7a46.jpg312f6f31d18f01c89966f4e8807cfe82.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

So great... it looks way better than many abandoned cars I've seen.  Seems someone hacked the hazard switch on the left side of the dash top.  Those are kinda hard to find, but not impossible. 

If you want to tackle cleaning the seats, I've had good luck with a tub of Goop hand cleaner and a soft, bristle brush.  Slop it on, scrub away, and shop vac it off, or just wipe it with a clean cloth.  Cleaning a new project goes a long way to keep the motivation alive.  

Congrats on the find.  Can't wait to see the orange car :)

Ed Z

Edited by zinz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So great... it looks way better than many abandoned cars I've seen.  Seems someone hacked the hazard switch on the left side of the dash top.  Those are kinda hard to find, but not impossible. 

If you want to tackle cleaning the seats, I've had good luck with a tub of Goop hand cleaner and a soft, bristle brush.  Slop it on, scrub away, and shop vac it off, or just wipe it with a clean cloth.  Cleaning a new project goes a long way to keep the motivation alive.  

Congrats on the find.  Can't wait to see the orange car

Ed
Appreciate the tip the driver seat is in strips The passenger and rear might be salvageable. If I have to do the driver seat I'm just going to have them reupholster both of the others as well I think.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When you pull the carpet and the sound padding and if you find a bit of surface rust, POR 15 will do the trick.  Since this is beneath the carpeting, no worries about applying a color coat.  When we repaint my 73 Atlantic, I will use Dynamat for the sound insulation beneath the carpet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GavBak said:

If I have to do the driver seat I'm just going to have them reupholster both of the others as well I think.

Suggestion--The OEM material on roundies has been NLA for many years, so  find a parts car rear seat back in the same color(hard to tell if yours is dark blue or black, but both are common) that has a sun-rotted top, get it for cheap and use the un-rotted (and usually unworn) vertical material to repair your split driver's seat.  Much cheaper than re upholstering both front seats, and both front and back seats will match.   I've done that on both my '69 and '73, and you'd never know the driver's seat had been repaired.

You can also have the steering wheel repaired and re-covered with leather--worth doing as that sports wheel was used only one year on US cars. 

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suggestion--The OEM material on roundies has been NLA for many years, so  find a parts car rear seat back in the same color(hard to tell if yours is dark blue or black, but both are common) that has a sun-rotted top, get it for cheap and use the un-rotted (and usually unworn) vertical material to repair your split driver's seat.  Much cheaper than re upholstering both front seats, and both front and back seats will match.   I've done that on both my '69 and '73, and you'd never know the driver's seat had been repaired.

You can also have the steering wheel repaired and re-covered with leather--worth doing as that sports wheel was used only one year on US cars. 

mike

What do you mean repair? Like create a new seat cover from the material, won't it be more brittle? Sounds like a good option.

Congrats on the find.  Can't wait to see the orange car

Ed Z
It still has the hazard switch, do these just go bad?774e279819f2004f7e4f2c04af032411.jpg

7 hours ago, GavBak said:

It still has the hazard switch, do these just go bad?

774e279819f2004f7e4f2c04af032411.jpg

Yes, you could come out one day & find the button up & battery dead.  That's not the correct original style hazard switch.  It should have the tall pull-on switch.

Edited by John_in_VA
typo

Yes, you could come out on day & find the button up & battery dead.  That's not the correct original style hazard switch.  It should have the tall pull-on switch.
Interesting, thank you.

19 minutes ago, GavBak said:

It still has the hazard switch, do these just go bad?

Scroll almost to the bottom and see dhoovler's post showing his flashing old-style hazard switch.  

• Like 1

+ 1 on finding original material for the seats. New upholstery is prohibitively priced

and does not really match. Looks "ok" but muchas' dinero'

I'm in the same boat...need a driver's seat back in Tobacco'. It might end up being

the last thing I find to finish this project

Adding to Zinz cleaning tip...a FAQ member named Danco used a combo of GOOP and Orange hand cleaner. It was pretty amazing how well his concoction worked on seats!

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1