2joejoe2

T-stat delete

12 posts / 368 viewsLast Reply

Hey, d

does anyone run their car with out a Thermostat?  I have run into an issue with my turbo set up were the Turbo manifold (Boost Bros style  ebay garbage) is in the way of the T-stat. I have tried to come of with ways to relocate the t-stat but it will not be pretty.  Im thinking about welding up the water divider and just running the car open with out the T-stat. Has anyone done this? I have a feeling I am going to be crucified for asking lol. 

Not going to bash you, but your going to need a way to control engine temp, with no t-stat you'll only get to temp running flat out if then and a cold engine is no way to run. Awhile ago there were several threads about running a electric water pump and controller that kept temp by controlling the pump speed or maybe you could fit the water neck of a m30 that has the t-stat in the head end I have no idea if that could be done but maybe?

Makes sense, I have seen this on a few M10 race motors but,i guess those set ups are designed for WFO .  Im gonna have to come up with some clever plumbing. Ill look into the M30 style tstat. Would a blocking style thermostat work on an M10 or would there be issues with hot spots? 

I seem to recall seeing earlier BMW engines that didn't have the 100% recirculating warm up flow system (they had the thermostat on the head outlet).  With the M10 design Alex von Falkenhausen must have had a reason to add it, like the head had would have had hot spots and cracking.  Playing with variable speed coolant pumps looks like success may not be so likely.  Until someone else wants to use their engine as a guinea pig and proves the M10 can handle it, I will be just an observer.

4 hours ago, mlytle said:

no reason an M10 couldn't use one

Only 20-25 years earlier design experience on the head between the S14 head and the M10 head.  Water circulation path within the head is quite different out the side not the front.

It's also interesting to note that BMW's current water flow/control scheme on the B58 engine (and may be on others, B48, etc) the water circuit is as on the 2002, although instead of a wax pellet thermostat, a ECU controlled ball valve is there not a variable speed water pump scheme.

Edited by jimk

The early T-stat that is mounted at the front of the head in place of the water outlet was used on the early NK cars.  The actual thermostat was dual acting like our external style and did circulate water through the engine until it warmed up, then closed off the recirc. And opened to the radiator.  The housings are very hard to find and working thermostats Togo in those housings are even rarer.  

Im gonna do some more brain storming in the garage this weekend. Running an electric pump would probably work but I think for the same amount of effort I could probably come up with a solution to mount the stock T-stat elsewhere