roc2002

Bumper conversion for a ‘76 2002

21 posts / 942 viewsLast Reply

5 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I'll join the Mint train.

I Like Big Bumpers, they're cheap insurance that will help protect that nice body work and paint.

I'm thinking of getting some of these Triumph overriders for mine. :) 

Image result for tr-6 bumper overrider

I love my diving board bumpers makes a great bench when you just can't push 2000lbs uphill anymore also great tool and nut storage shelf just check before you drive off or you might send tools flying into traffic (learned that the hard way screwdriver at 65mph can do serious damage, lucky only the pavement was hurt).

• Like 1

More mint goodness. 

It took me about 30 minutes to remove the rear bumper and another hour to assemble and install the early bumper using the mount kit that use the existing holes.  Easy peasy. 

Scope creep then kicked in. Holes were filled, lower molding removed, more holes filled. Side lights removed, more holes filled. Front air dam mounted, more holes filled. Respray. 

D40A5FB5-9F8E-4FC5-A0EE-1736B86C8166.jpeg

EBBAFDBC-788E-447F-9F9B-B1AA6C8BDD90.jpeg

• Like 1

On September 11, 2019 at 8:59 AM, roc2002 said:

Wow - your car is stunning! Is that an original paint color? Mine is Fjord Blue and all the reading I’ve done on here says that it’s better to leave the car the original color if at all possible. You did a great job with your bumpers.

Thank you for the compliment. The original color was Pastellblau, paint code 044. The current color is a modern BMW blue.

A little history on front end protection:

Those big rubber protrusions developed from what was know as Dagmars, developed after WWII.

I am fortunate to own a pre rubber bumper TR6, but not a pre 74 '02.

I did the 1/2 hr front bumper tuck on my car, lost about 4-5" off the front. Next I have to do the rear.

Some interesting reading:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagmar_bumper

I did the rear bumper in just a couple hours using the blunttech kit. It's really pretty simple. I put rubber door edge mould along the inner edge of the bumper because I didn't want it chaffing against the car. You really can't even tell its there unless you look close.

I haven't done the front yet because the front bumper I have is in really rough shape and I'm still debating whether or not to install it.

I would try it yourself before sending it to a body shop.

Screenshot_20190917-084522_Gallery.jpg

On 9/11/2019 at 8:44 PM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I'll join the Mint train.

I Like Big Bumpers, they're cheap insurance that will help protect that nice body work and paint.

The Master Tinkerer and I are two peas in a pod on this one! Mint + Big Bumpers for the win!

Are they big? Yes.

Do they work? Yes.

Do they look just fine? Yes.

Side markers though. . . those must go when possible!

IMG_20180301_171158.jpg

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy
  • Like 1