mattnahangi

WTB: Roundie Grille Slat Covers

9 posts / 264 viewsLast Reply

Hi All,

New to the 2002 forum, recently acquired a 72 Verona.

I am looking to buy slat covers (p/n 51131817840) to black out the slats on the left and right grilles. Looking for NOS or near perfect pieces. 

Let me know what you have!

Thanks,

Matt

I am no where near being able to just worry about the color of my grille, but previous to owning a 02 thought it was painted black.

Is there any reason to not just tape off and paint the slats black?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

(edited)
22 hours ago, GavBak said:

I am no where near being able to just worry about the color of my grille, but previous to owning a 02 thought it was painted black.

Is there any reason to not just tape off and paint the slats black?...

Maybe.

The early 2002’s, beginning January 1968, used black paint to black-out seven slats on each side grille, before the black-anodized slat covers were “invented.” The practice seemed to stop during the 1970 model year — my very early 1970 model (VIN 1668093, September 8, 1969) had painted slats. The painting stopped because it failed spectacularly: a year or so of use/exposure could eliminate much of the paint due to stones, sand, bugs, you name it, thrown against the grilles.

Modern paints, practices, or coatings might be more successful than ca. 1969 paint applied over anodized aluminum! 🤔

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Maybe.

The early 2002’s, beginning January 1968, used black paint to black-out seven slats on each side grille, before the black-anodized slat covers were “invented.” The practice seemed to stop during the 1970 model year — my very early 1970 model (VIN 1668093, September 8, 1969), however, had painted slats. The painting stopped because it failed spectacularly: a year or so of use/exposure could eliminate much of the paint from stones, sand, bugs, you name it.

Modern paints, practices, or coatings might be more successful than ca. 1969 paint applied over anodized aluminum!

Regards,

Steve

Nice, the 69 I got is painted I believe and the 70 has the covers. I guess I'll try the paint when I get to that point and see what happens. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Fredric said:

These are long term back ordered, you can use electrical tape of black vinyl for the time being if you like. I removed mines because the black anodized was so badly faded. 

Thanks Frederic. I know they are NLA. That is why I was asking the forum to see if anyone has any extra sitting around.