berjkara

Quick Release Steering Wheel Recommendations

19 posts / 679 viewsLast Reply

I have a Nardi that I like to use for daily driving, and a Momo that I use for canyon runs. Ive been looking for a quick release setup so I don’t spend 20 minutes switching them. Do you guys have any quick release recommendations that I can use to quickly switch from one to the other? NRG maybe? Or if there are any kits that come with the hub itself and a Momo and Nardi adapter that would be awesome as well. Any links or information would be great! 

(edited)

Sorry to be a pest but nothing is quick in our cars! I can't even lock and unlock the door quickly enough incase i'm being chased in the parking lot!

Edited by resra
  • Haha 1

(edited)

Nrg's work.  Obviously you are going to have to buy two of them.  You will end up with an extra car side piece.

Keep in mind that QR's move the wheel at least 2-3 inches closer to you as they bolt on to your existing hub adapter.

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 1

I love my Nrg slim quick release, had multiple ones for at least 5 years never a problem. Bought a cheap copy of Ebay just for fun, broke during installation lol. For $100 and less than an inch added to steering column can't go  wrong.

I think one big consideration is splined vs. hexagonal. I had splined Momo in my Miata race car, it had some amount of slop. I understand, from hearsay, that the hexagonal drive would have less slop. Keep in mind that what goes on easily CAN unmount while driving, so I wouldn’t go cheap. On the Momo system with splines, if you didn’t line it up it when parking it was kind of a pain to get the wheel re-aligned on installation. I tried other systems and the pull tab/lever was kind of unintuitive. You might want to actually try out different systems before buying....my 2 cents.

Rogue Engineering

There's simply no other good solution for that little money. The original ball bearing QR, never gets loose, still going 10+ years on mine.

I've also been impressed with the Rogue Engineering quick release.

3 hours ago, Spyke said:

Rogue Engineering

There's simply no other good solution for that little money. The original ball bearing QR, never gets loose, still going 10+ years on mine.

well, no.  there are other excellent solutions for the same money.  yes the RE is a nice piece, however, the NRG is an almost identical design.  RE may even rebrand and sell the NRG item.  it is not an RE design.

there are some junk QR's out there, but the market has brought some great options into the game in the last 15 years!

I also run the RE v2 quick-release, and I do believe it’s a “house design” made for RE by NRG. Relatively low 2.25” stack height, multi-wheel pattern hub, with a proven/sturdy design, that’s easy on/off with its paddles.  IMO it’s best matched with a flat or very low dish steering wheel.

Tom

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 8:41 PM, visionaut said:

I also run the RE v2 quick-release, and I do believe it’s a “house design” made for RE by NRG. Relatively low 2.25” stack height, multi-wheel pattern hub, with a proven/sturdy design, that’s easy on/off with its paddles.  IMO it’s best matched with a flat or very low dish steering wheel.

Tom

It's the one everybody copied