2002Scoob

Has anybody attempted to DIY their Alternator Rebuild?

24 posts / 589 viewsLast Reply

(edited)
10 hours ago, TobyB said:

Yes, you can REPAIR a broken alternator.

REBUILDING one would involve completely stripping the coils off of it,

rewinding, relacquering, and so forth.

Tru.... Yah, 'Repair' is a more applicable term. 

Even more honest would be 'doing just enough to get it working again and nothing more' :)

Edited by 2002Scoob

I have repaired a couple of them in last 2 years and they are not difficult to work on.

You need tell us what is doing or not doing. That is important.

You could open it up and examine brushes and slip ring diameter. You know slip ring minimum dia. should be 31.5mm

In my case both alternators worked on needed new bearings, brushes and slip rings.

• Like 1

Disassemble slowly and carefully on a good clean work space taking lots of pictures. Clean inspect and replace all wear parts and use your pictures to reassemble. Then upload pics and short write up so we can all benefit. It really isnt that hard, if you can change your oil you can rebuild an alternator. Also if your alternator is original the regulator is external ( silver box with yellow stripe behind driver's headlight).

17 hours ago, TobyB said:

320 alt in everything.  Well, or a Chevy Sprint...

Toby,

You installed a chevy Sprint alternator in a 2002? Any special brackets needed? Internally-regulated or no?

Mike

I have repaired a couple of them in last 2 years and they are not difficult to work on.

You need tell us what is doing or not doing. That is important.

You could open it up and examine brushes and slip ring diameter. You know slip ring minimum dia. should be 31.5mm

In my case both alternators worked on needed new bearings, brushes and slip rings.

Current symptoms are 14v at idle, but anything over 2.5k and the current drops to 12v and the ‘L’ light will lightly glow.

Just started the last drive where I went to Karlsruhe to buy an e12 rear subframe, and there’s a tunnel along the way where I turned on my headlights. Stopped a few Km south of it to take a piss and have a coffee at a rest stop and forgot to turn them off, and 15 min later she wouldn’t start.

Jumped it, and drove another hour home, and noticed in-town the light dimly lighting up when pulling away from a stop.

That’s when I used the 123 dizzy’s Bluetooth app to check the voltage at different RPM’s, and saw the voltage drop which was triggering the dash light.

Took it to a trusted shop that confirmed an alternator/charging issue, but they weren’t able to source parts for a repair in-time for a trip a few days later.

I did not know about min. shaft diameters, but now I do default_smile.png&key=b1e631b962d3078058998b9e9a8caf0c333b0ec50373b6fec41455d8c4461ea4 I’ve have it on the bench next week-headed to Berlin for the weekend and then hoping to spend a few days at the Frankfurt Auto Show next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Symptoms described let me believe carbon brush and/or slip ring are worn out. After returning from mini vacation go thru  following procedures obtained from Manual Service book and before you take to bench. Test results from procedures should confirm to actual components conditions after disassembly.

1941210202_ScreenShot2019-09-10at2_19_27PM.thumb.png.59598ac5203babdb791ac711c165ffbd.png1727095444_ScreenShot2019-09-10at2_19_42PM.thumb.png.31a61cf6189d1899224ff17416100f1d.png742121383_ScreenShot2019-09-10at2_16_46PM.thumb.png.8b1917872339480bea1905f4af023450.png

1.thumb.png.b937cf446720eb6b3744952a98f3e52b.png

2.thumb.png.af72dad36c8d91920f423a51bd9ddf35.png

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 12:18 PM, albatcha said:

I had a real hard time finding a source for all the parts needed to fully rebuild the alternator. What I ended up doing is I found a good deal on a rebuilt one by Remy with no core charge for like $50 on ebay. I just swapped all the new internals from the rebuilt one into the old housing.

I'd be glad to do the same thing, but in looking around on eBay I'm not finding the Remy you mention. Any chance of sharing the search terms or a listed item? 

Also, not finding any 2002 alt parts on the 3 supplied links, what am I missing? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sahara 72 2002 said:

Also, not finding any 2002 alt parts on the 3 supplied links, what am I missing?

Sorry, but you have to do the work, or e-mail them to see if they have the parts you need.

You need to find the bosch number for your unit, then look up parts for that specific model.

easy.