Robocopywriter

Current options for DCOE style intake manifolds

23 posts / 1113 viewsLast Reply

Had to disregard a current popular choice due to poor quality control on the manufacturing.

Seems like there ought o be a few options but I am not finding much in the U.S.

(edited)

Curious here also. I have the two into one set up right now. I would guess the four to two style would be more balanced.

Just guessing here ,more input would be great.  As in popular are your referring to the IE one, I have heard a few small complaints on how it matches to the head.  Their was a Alpinia intake for sale in the classifieds, of course I can't find it now. 

Cool but was $1000.  

Edited by jp5Touring

2 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

Curious here also. I have the two into one set up right now. I would guess the four to two style would be more balanced.

Just guessing here ,more input would be great.  As in popular are your referring to the IE one, I have heard a few small complaints on how it matches to the head.  Their was a Alpinia intake for sale in the classifieds, of course I can't find it now. 

Cool but was $1000.  

lol I tried to test fit ITBs to it and a couple of holes were off by half a tenth and none of them were drilled straight.  Alpina one probably expensive no?

(edited)

Functionally for DCOE's the best designed manifold remains the IE manifold (which is modeled after the no-longer-produced Korman manifold).  Yes, it needs work and is far from perfect, but such is the case.  Not to mention, if you think the QC is lacking, try that linked Rowland manifold.... If you are after a manifold for ITB's that's different, and the IE/Korman design isn't ideal given it's internal balancing holes.

Currently available "new" manifolds (some require more internet digging than other):

1) IE 

2) Rowland

3) Cannon

4) Jenvey

5) DBilas

6) RHD

7) Alpina 

EDIT: Yes, the Alpina one is expensive, but it is also very nice. 

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 1

Andrew thanks for commenting, if the IE just needs a little finesse I have no problem with that.

I need to upgrade my linkage witch is pretty tired and think the IE one is a nice design and reasonably  priced .

That dreaded project creep.

• Like 1

Pierce Manifolds used to sell a good quality set of manifolds as well.  I have used them for years on race engines ( I had to match port them to my heads so I never checked them against a stock head.). 

22 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

Pierce Manifolds used to sell a good quality set of manifolds as well.  I have used them for years on race engines ( I had to match port them to my heads so I never checked them against a stock head.). 

May be the best way to go, pretty reasonable for a complete kit and since they're manufacturing they should take pride in their work.  Matching the ports is just a given and no big deal.

Original is nice, but obviously harder to come by. Webcon in the UK do nicely machined manifolds. I bought their 45mm version (not seen another off the shelf manifold specifically cast for 45mm side drafts) to go on an s10 build. They are nicely finished and whilst I've not installed them they don't look like any finessing will be required.

http://www.webcon.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=95&cat=4+cylinder

They also have a version with a water passage which is interesting if you live in colder climbs. Think it's new as I don't recall seeing it before.

spacer.png

• Like 2

That looks very much like Redline made manifold. Redline does not list it (at least i didn't find it) but TEP carb kit comes with one.

• Like 1

I have used the Cannon version- they were pretty good.  Big, too, so not much, if any, modification needed.

They have a useful boss for linkage pivots, too, which stock does not.

t

3 hours ago, tzei said:

That looks very much like Redline made manifold. Redline does not list it (at least i didn't find it) but TEP carb kit comes with one.

I will give them a call.

(edited)

Redline, TopEnd, and Pierce are utilizing the 2-piece Cannon Manifold with their standard kits.  Forgot about the Webcon options.

Then there is that one ebay seller.... who stole the image of Ian Thomas's race car (which utilized an IE manifold, custom linkage and fuel plumbing).  

Lastly, looks like the Chinese FAJs carb people have made their knock off version of a DCOE manifold.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Lastly, looks like the Chinese FAJs carb people have made their knock off version of a DCOE manifold.

Curious: Is there a difference between “knock-off’ and “modeled after” when it comes to a copy? -KB

• Like 1