• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Roundie

Javi Gutierrez

Price: $1

Description:

Looking to buy a manual roundie in the states. Doesn't have to be perfect, but ideally in running condition and with little to no rust.

Color:
In a perfect world it would be Polaris or Baikal,

but I'll also consider other colors like: Nevada, Derby, Caribe, Riviera, Agave, Malaga, Sahara 

Budget:

Somewhere in the mid teens

Edited by javi_gutierrez
More detail

On 9/5/2019 at 4:18 PM, javi_gutierrez said:
Price: $1

Description:

Looking to buy a manual Polaris or Baikal roundie (Wouldn't be opposed to checking other shades of blue, but those two are my favorite colors). 

Budget is somewhere in the mid to high teens

Nothing wrong with asking for what you really want, Javi. But Polaris metallic is somewhat rare on round taillight U.S. cars and Baikal metallic is quite rare on U.S. cars — period. I’d recommend you widen the scope to include colors such as Fjord metallic, Atlantik, Riviera, etc.... 

Good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion! I knew that baikal was rare, but I wasn't aware that polaris was on the rare side for roundies. I guess I should've known by the radio silence haha

I'm actually not opposed to seeing other colors. There's definitely other colors that I still like, just not as much as the two previously mentioned. I didn't know if the post would start getting confusing since I would probably not pay as much for non-preferred colors. I think being an optimist I just hoped that someone had exactly what I was looking for :)

As secondary options I do like colors like Atlantik, Riviera, (other dark-ish shades of blue), Derby and even Agave. Then I'm on the fence about fjord, and tan colors like nevada and sahara. If I'm being picky with colors, it's just cause I don't want to have to repaint it any time soon.

My wise old man advice — if I were a wise in addition to being old — would be “Find the lowest-rust ‘02 you can find within your budget, color be damned!” A low-rust car is a great car! You’ll learn to love it’s color, or change it.

What I did when I was looking for a tii — which is different from wise old man advice — is I set a high bar, because I was in no hurry to find that tii, since I already had my original owner ‘76. The high bar was:

1. Round taillight tii

2. Low, low rust

3. Not restored (my car does have one of the world’s cheapest re-paints, done right over dirt, wax, etc.)

4. Factory sunroof, and, last-but-not-least,

5. Inka, Colorado, Chamonix, or Polaris, in that order (Polaris last only because my ‘76 is Polaris)

I looked, casually, for about 3 years.  When I found, on eBay, out of Southern California, a car that filled this bill, of course I had to buy it, even if it probably was 20% over what I perceived as “market”. I couldn’t be happier with that purchase! But of all my criteria, low-rust is probably the most important.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I'd say my list of priorities is quite similar. I haven't owned an 02 yet but during my research I've heard to prioritize the exterior/rust, as those are the more expensive things to repair/restore. My list is something like this:

1. Manual roundie (02 or even 1600)

2. Little to no rust

3. Colors I talked about before

I'm also in no rush, but periodically checking online for one definitely makes me want to have one sooner than later. But I'm honestly ok with just waiting and hopefully what I want will show up at some point.. 

I'm curious, why "not restored" was that high of a priority for you?

• Like 1

I struck proverbial gold in May 10 of 2010 when this 1973 Tii was on ebay. Drove close to 90K miles from may 2010 to September 18, 2018 when Vern was fully restored and the engine rebuilt.

My criteria:

1.1973 Tii

2 Sunroof

3 Malaga/Tan

4. Correct nose

5. Little to no rust, clean as possible.

6. Turnkey, not a basket case. (no red flag deal breakers.)

What I bought:

1. 1973 Tii

2. Sunroof

3. Verona/Tan

4. Correct nose

5. Little to no rust, very clean, this Tii pushed all the right buttons

6. 5-speed & new clutch

7. $2K in spare parts

8. Epic 3,100 mile road trip.

1973 2002tii.JPG

!BsYPnCgCWk~$(KGrHqIOKiYEu,Ej)!)7BL3kwMbI8Q~~_35.JPG

!BsYPsuwEGk~$(KGrHqQOKiIEvOQcc,46BL3kw1G56w~~_35.JPG

!BsYPuv!EGk~$(KGrHqMOKikEvOnbKY1gBL3k)BL9c!~~_35.JPG

Deflector 05.JPG

IMG_0501 copy.jpg

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_5788.jpg

Vern BMW CCA day 2018.jpg

Vern Mid America 2019.jpg

• Like 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

7 hours ago, javi_gutierrez said:

I'm curious, why "not restored" was that high of a priority for you?

There are at least as many definitions of restoration as there are car owners.  My vision of restoration is to keep as much original fabric intact as possible. Fix what needs fixin’ and paint what needs paintin’!  I want all that cheap crude black stuff installed on the interior floors still in place: no Dynamat for this guy!  I don’t want all the car’s original fasteners swapped out for stainless. Et cetera! I don’t want a 50-year-old car that has been perfected. I want a 50-year-old car that has simply been well-maintained.

That’s why.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...