kyrSatlas

Trouble starting - Fuel issue

4 posts / 164 viewsLast Reply

Hi guys,

My 2000CS was running fine until yesterday. It will typically start with 3-4 tries. But yesterday it wouldn't.

I checked the fuel line and seems that there is no fuel supply. I have a transparent filter which is typically 1/4 full of fuel.

Like that it would work fine. But it was dry yesterday. I manually made petrol circulate and fill a bit the filter. After some tries it will become dry again.

I am suspecting that the fuel pump does not work. It is a mechanical one. Is there a way to test it? Could it be that it can be repaired? What would the membrane in it do?

Any help is appreciated,

Best,

Kyr

(edited)

Their may be a pinhole leak in the fuel supply line that is drawing air instead of fuel. Make sure all your fuel line are not cracked and the connections are tight. Even a small air leak will keep fuel from being pulled from the tank to the pump.

A quick way to check the mechanical pump and the supply lines would be to put a length of new hose to the supply side of the pump; then place that new hose into a fuel can.  Crank the engine and check to see if the pump draws fuel.

New mechanical pumps are readily available.  The carbureted versions of later e9 Coupes and e3 Bavarias use the same pump. Here's one at W&N

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/fuel-pump-1500-2000-earlier-type-you-need-1-for-1-car-13-12-17.html

Replace all the rubber fuel lines if they are old.  The fitting at the fuel tank nipple is critical.. the line should fit tightly on that connection.

Ed

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1

Thanks Ed for your helpful and detailed reply.

Any idea of how thick the fuel lines are?

Wallothnesch sells both 8mm and 6mm.

My car has the standard 2x dbl Solex.

???

16 hours ago, kyrSatlas said:

Any idea of how thick the fuel lines are?

Should be 8mm.  That new fuel pump also has 8mm nipples on it.

I always buy more than I think I need... because I have a bad habit of not cutting the correct length the first time 😩

Do you have any pictures of your 2000CS?  Would love to see them.  We are installing front and rear windshields in my '67 this afternoon... allllllmost done with the restoration.

Ed

• Like 1