• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installed Pertronix, now my tii runs like crap...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

schwarztii7.jpg

URL: http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/BMW.html

Finally got a chance to install the Pertronix replacment for the unit that burned up back when I was first getting the tii running.

I got it installed and now the car idles horribly. I tried adjusting the timing and couldn't get it to run right.

When I was in there installing the unit, I noticed that one of the small springs below the mounting plate in the dizzy was broken. What is that spring for? I don't know that it is the problem, because I think it was broken before and it ran fine with the points.

Some more info, during the process, the dizzy came out of the housing and I was trying to start the car not knowing that. I had to reset the dizzy back by setting the crank pulley to TDC and setting the dizzy TDC mark to line up with the rotor. Is that the best way to get a starting point? The car would then start, but run bad. Moving the dizzy to the left or right to adjust timing didn't seem to help.

Any additional thoughts?

Guest Anonymous

Karl,

From your description, that spring is one of two that is vital for the proper operation of your distro. It is one of the springs that control the mechanical advance function of the distributor. You need to get that sorted before you attempt to get the timing set.

Earl

74 2002Lux

72 Volvo 1800ES

Guest Anonymous

Those small springs keep the weights from giving advance too soon. If one is broken, the advance will kick in way too early. Hence your problem with too much advance at idle. Static timing may have been good, but not the dynamic one.

Guest Anonymous

My first 2002 had a spring break, it rattled around in there for a while then jammed between the flyweight and the case, seizing up the rotor for a sec. This caused the spiral gear to launch the dist straight up till it disengaged with the drive gear on the cam. P.O didn't notice that it had popped up. Hence I got a non-running 2002 for $300 or so that only needed a tiny spring... maybe thats why yours came out?

Guest Anonymous

chewed the inside of the case a bit, nothing functional was hurt. I made a spring out of a ballpoint pen spring that worked OK till I found a better distributor. I have a box of vacuum advance dizzys laying around if you need one. Maybe we can do some swapping.