wheelieking

What spring pads for ground control rear springs?

5 posts / 154 viewsLast Reply

I'm nearly done rebuilding both front and rear subframes with the Ground Control coil over kit including the rear spring with height adjustor.  This pic from a from a different thread demonstrates my questions though.  What "spring pad" should I use for the height adjuster to body interface, and given that the springs are ground flat, I need some kind of lower spring pad that is flat for the spring side, but has the protruding bump on the trailing arm side.  I'm kinda annoyed this isn't included in the kit... 

image.png

I, too, thought a pad should come with the kit- already paying the money so just charge me another 20 or 50 for a flat pad...

I'm trying to remember if I just ran mine without, and then it was too low, so I went with something.  If you have them I'd start with the 1 dot pads to try and keep the coil around the metal.  My new car is so different...

Oh, and I pulled the bump stop in the middle of the spring- I was constantly on it and the GC kit comes with bump rubbers on the shocks.

Thanks irdave.  Yeah I have new 1 dot top and bottom pads, but rather than flat pads, they a shaped to accept the coil spring (photo) and the inside diameter of the raise part is to big for the inside of the springs.  I've googled around a ton, and haven't seen or read about anything obvious.  I was just thinking i wouldn't want metal on metal contact on either the trailing arm or the body.  I'm a little less worried about the top, because the adjustable height collar fits super snug against the body and the spring rides in the adjuster, but I may just have to modify the bottom pads by hand.   And yeah, I pulled the OE bump stops out.  

image.png.517e776f2cc70597bffc06cda1694552.png

(edited)

pretty sure mine came with top and bottom spring pads.  they are the same part.   there should be nothing  between the adjuster and car.  below pic is correct install.

also notice the spring alignment.  it is straight down, not angled back.  i moved the lower perch on the trailing arm forward about an inch.  need to do this on lowered cars.  while i was doing this i flattened the "bump".

2015-02-17_16-31-29_420.jpg

2015-02-16_15-37-28_782.jpg

2015-02-16_13-13-59_869.jpg

2015-02-15_17-45-55_403.jpg

before and after flattening the bump

2014-12-06_15-41-10_393.jpg

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, wheelieking said:

Thanks irdave.  Yeah I have new 1 dot top and bottom pads, but rather than flat pads, they a shaped to accept the coil spring (photo) and the inside diameter of the raise part is to big for the inside of the springs.  I've googled around a ton, and haven't seen or read about anything obvious.  I was just thinking i wouldn't want metal on metal contact on either the trailing arm or the body.  I'm a little less worried about the top, because the adjustable height collar fits super snug against the body and the spring rides in the adjuster, but I may just have to modify the bottom pads by hand.   And yeah, I pulled the OE bump stops out.  

image.png.517e776f2cc70597bffc06cda1694552.png

Sure bud- I know how they are- I was just trying to remember what I did on the tii to make it work- as that car is gone now.  I really might have used nothing.

What Marshal did is a sweet answer.