djminkin

Early dash components

14 posts / 445 viewsLast Reply

I have an early 69 car and was wondering if anything goes in these areas I have circled. I don’t remember removing anything from these areas. Thanks. 

1658DFB7-C440-4E32-9324-5E55B4864963.jpeg

6D5708DF-8165-447E-AA0C-B31440AF7541.jpeg

Unless your car is a Euro model (not a 166xxxx VIN for a 2002 or 156xxxx VIN for a 1600) it's a pre-1968.  Federal regs made BMW do away with all that dash chrome as part of the safety requirements that took effect with the 1968 model year.  And has been pointed out, there were originally black cardboard panels that closed off the underdash area.  They had a grained surface to look like vinyl but that was just stamped in the cardboard.  

Like that AM/Shortwave Blaupunkt radio in your picture, along with the original, early speaker grille.

mike

7 hours ago, mike said:

Unless your car is a Euro model (not a 166xxxx VIN for a 2002 or 156xxxx VIN for a 1600) it's a pre-1968.  Federal regs made BMW do away with all that dash chrome as part of the safety requirements that took effect with the 1968 model year.  And has been pointed out, there were originally black cardboard panels that closed off the underdash area.  They had a grained surface to look like vinyl but that was just stamped in the cardboard.  

Like that AM/Shortwave Blaupunkt radio in your picture, along with the original, early speaker grille.

mike

Yes it’s a 69 ti. So it is a euro car 

A US spec 69 is not considered a "Euro" spec car. 1967 was the last year in which there was no difference between Euro and US cars. For US spec cars, hey did away with that dash in 1968 due to US safety regulations. However, they retained it in Europe until about 1973. So, you can retrofit a US spec car with that dash, and your US spec 69 will even have a hole in the dash for the ashtray. But, that is not the only part you will need to use that dash. The center counsole is different as it comes up to the dash at a different angle, the top cover on top of the steering column is longer and made of metal, The instrument cluster cover is smaller and made of plastic, the cover pieces under the dash are different and I'm assuming you already have the correct three piece dash with the instrument cluster cover and bottom dash pad being specific to the style of dash using the dash strip shown in your photo. While the plated dash trim shown is made of plastic, the ashtray is chrome plated metal to match the trim. It is very different from the US spec ashtray installed in the center counsole. I've installed this dash into my US spec 69 1600, and I was surprised at how many things I needed to juggle. I thought I can just change out the bottom dash pad, but I was wrong. I purchased all of my parts from the local U Pick Part salvage yard where 02s were plentiful. And, they cost almost nothing. I've seen the ashtray you need on the internet. And, people are asking up to $300 for one, which is crazy considering I paid $2 for the last one I bought from the salvage yard during in the late 90s.

Hi I have the ash tray. I need to know what part I need for the housing of it that fits in the dash. 

To be clear my car is a 1969 2002ti so it is a euro car. Again I need to know what I need for the housing of the ash tray and also if anything goes in those holes I have circled 

Body nuts go in the holes.

The outer "sleeve" for the ashtray goes in the big hole.

2 hours ago, Jam3422 said:

Body nuts go in the holes.

The outer "sleeve" for the ashtray goes in the big hole.

Body nuts?  Do you happen to have a photo of what it looks like?  Thx

I responded to your other thread, but you seem to have abandoned it.

here is a Flickr album of mine that shows several photos of an early dash (installed).

ADAMSAutosport - DianaV2 - Glove Box Restoration

I've attached pics of the ashtray and its tray. Notice the details, including the small plastic wheels in the tray which serve to guide and secure the ashtray. These guide wheels are installed through a metal tab serving as a spring to provide tension for the ashtray.  Certainly, a very well crafted, but over engineered German part. They simplified things and did away with these parts as production progressed, so to lower cost of production. I had a lot of these things, but I gave away most of them to fellow 02 owners who all wanted to install one of these dashes in their cars. But, none of them ever did, and I'm sure the ashtrays are collecting dust in their parts stashes. I came across about thirty 1967 era 1600s at the local U Pick Part salvage yards during the 90s. A few of them were 1966 cars. And, it was sad to see these cars get crushed. I tried, though, to salvage parts with my very limited resources.

Ashtray 2.jpg

Asgtray 3.jpg

Ashtray 4.jpg

Ashtray 1.jpg

• Like 1

Djminkin, Could you take some pics of your dash? a need too se how match with all the components, Thank you so much.

Julio