CheckNL

2002 Turbo Steel wheels

9 posts / 265 viewsLast Reply

Hi there,

Might be a long shot but wanted to post anyway. 

Am looking for a set of steel wheels that were standard for the bmw turbo. 

Does anyone has some available for sale or knows anyone who does?

Many thanks in advance!

(edited)

The standard steel rims for the factory turbo are 5 1/2” x 13”, ET18, generally by Lemmerz, occasionally Solrad (“SRD”). They are rare.

The standard steel rims for the e21, as it was introduced in the Euro-spec version in April-ish 1975, are 5 1/2” x 13”, ET18, generally by Lemmerz, occasionally by Solrad. They are styled steel rims, identical to the turbo rims but for the turbo’s medium-gray paint on the center disks. The e21 rims are common and inexpensive.

The only way to distinguish the two is the manufacturing date stamped into the outside of the rim’s center disk. If that date is from 1973 to early 1975, they are certainly “turbo rims”. If that date is later than early 1975, however, they are likely e21 rims. Only the stamped date insures authenticity.

Given time, you may find a set of authentic turbo rims for sale. In the interim, you can buy a set of e21 rims, paint the center disks gray, and fool 97.3% of viewers.

Since many original turbo buyers swapped off their cars’ original steel rims for alloys — and forgot the steel rims, sitting in the back of their garages — yours wouldn’t be the first turbo to (at least temporarily) wear e21 rims.

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

(edited)

I just happen to have a set of those e21 5 1/2" ET 18 wheels for sale now, if you are interested.

I doubt you are local though and shipping would be expensive... although the wheels are priced to sell. :) 

EDIT-- I sold these yesterday.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

(edited)
1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I just happen to have a set of those e21 5 1/2" ET 18 wheels for sale now, if you are interested.

I doubt you are local though and shipping would be expensive... although the wheels are priced to sell. :) 

Sure do look like turbo rims to me, Tom! 😉

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

4 hours ago, al2002tnz said:

I just recently sourced a set of 5 original 2002 Turbo Steel wheels, they are out there....

Dated pre-April 1975?

I ask because there was a new set of turbo rims a few years back, but all were dated 1979 and later. And... the centers were incorrectly painted black — in contrast to the original gray.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Dated pre-April 1975?

I ask because there was a new set of turbo rims a few years back, but all were dated 1979 and later. And... the centers were incorrectly painted black — in contrast to the original gray.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Hi Steve, yes a correctly dated set still with the original 2002 Turbo two tone paint. 

D62E1448-0C96-4E6C-AC1A-81BA281DD656.jpeg

• Like 1