Lucian

Wham-Wham - BMW 1600-2 '67

92 posts / 8902 viewsLast Reply

Thanks much,  you guys keep me going,  today I put on pep boys  mirror to be legal,  tomorrow long test drive, ck a/c, etc,  maybe a you tube vid?  couple of pic, the one of trunk int is 1st hit .  "crazy" .   L

mirror.jpg

int trunk.jpg

For the love of a car to go to these lengths to make it roadworthy again. I think I would do the same. I’m glad you’re ok after the accident and I’m enjoying the story of the rebuild!

Thank you, the front left panel was hit, rust, you replaced?  Alum rims?

I have lots to fig out,   My next step is all new, to me so sort of getting the pic but moving slow, would like  to get ins $ for next phase … L

Too bad this happened and to such a rare first year 02.  At least the car did it’s job and protected you. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, Brandon said:

Too bad this happened and to such a rare second year 02....

Minor tweak....

The 1600-2 began production in March 1966. Not many of the 1966 models made their way to North America, but a few did. Thus, ‘67 was the second year.

Best regards,

Steve

47 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Minor tweak....

The 1600-2 began production in March 1966. Not many of the 1966 models made their way to North America, but a few did. Thus, ‘67 was the second year.

Best regards,

Steve

You’re getting technical...Euro spec cars generally came out a year earlier than US spec cars, however the first model year for 1600’s destined for the US market were 1967.  Of course the DOT rules were grainy during the 60’s and a euro spec car was virtually no different than a US spec car at the time and could potentially be sold in the US.  So with that, I do believe some ‘66 model year cars snuck into the US.  For the conversation here with Lucian’s 1600, I still consider ‘67 the first year for US spec 1600’s.

• Like 1

Bmw 1600-2 manuf Nov 1967, it was Jan 1968 was 1st year for the US 1600-2  and 2002, the items not only stamped on the ID, the rear Lic Plate Lights vs the Euro on the bumper, What really wild about my car history is it came shipped direct  to  Los Angeles and trucked to Arizona, Only one dealer for all of AZ,  so the A/C Frigking was installed by dealer in CA or AZ? (Thanks to Steve for history)  My guess as the Lady driving  the car in AZ with the A/C & was over heating and as done in those days a overflow was installed ... Idea being the overflow water went in a plastic container  about the size of quart and was screwed into fender, 1 line from radiator, was thought to catch  water then as cooled went back into radiator?  I took it off   I was in Bruno's Shop,  a 30K orig from a family estate was there  it was/is so perfect that is when I decided to enjoy the car, I could never be perfect like the 30K orig garaged 1600-2     Now that I have been looking at the body trying to fig the impact, a couple of items of interest, when I put on the trailer hitch I had looked for a factory hitch and had factory plans of hitch in which I followed .. (of course I could not find factory hitch)  I think my spare tire and the hitch helped prevent a total collapse of rear end, maybe puncture the gas tank?  In the pic's, we had to let air out of spare tire to get it out the trailer hitch frame work restricts the tire well from hitting the gas tank. I am going to look at that more close and also have the fellow that installed hitch,  look it over ... L 

hit direction.jpg

Hitch 2.jpg

Hitch 3.jpg

Hitch.JPG

Lucian, hearing your story makes me want to put something in my spare tire well. It currently only contains a rag and a can of fix-a-flat.

Good luck, I'm pulling for you.

Eric

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lucian said:

Bmw 1600-2 manuf Nov 1967, it was Jan 1968 was 1st year for the US 1600-2  and 2002, the items not only stamped on the ID, the rear Lic Plate Lights vs the Euro on the bumper, What really wild about my car history is it came shipped direct  to  Los Angeles and trucked to Arizona, Only one dealer for all of AZ,  so the A/C Frigking was installed by dealer in CA or AZ?...

Los Angeles was the U.S. Port of Entry (POE) — the POE being where an imported car enters the U.S. and clears U.S. Customs — for all Arizona ‘02’s due to Arizona’s lack of an ocean port. A car’s POE was generally the major ocean port closest to the retail dealership. But yes, if your car’s dealership was far from the ocean, e.g., Colorado, the Dakota’s, etc., it also had a long truck ride from the POE to the dealership.

A/C systems were generally installed by the dealerships, not at the POE. But, as recounted by the principal of I.C.E. AIR, who worked on a Clardy “dock team” (my term) in the mid 1970’s, by which time A/C was much more common among warm climate deliveries, dealerships wanting A/C’d ‘02’s could engage this group to install A/C in cars earmarked for their dealership while the cars were in the large holding lots at the POE. Installing a large number of ‘02 A/C’s almost simultaneously, this dock team could install the systems very quickly, well under the 10 hours Clardy estimated. I’m guessing they shared some of these savings with the dealership, which is why a dealership might approach the process this way. Plus, it took advantage of dead time, while the car was waiting to be picked up by a car carrier. The car could arrive at the dealership virtually ready for sale.

For your car, Lucian, however, I’d assume the Arizona dealership installed the A/C.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve, if you ever do a book, I will be 1st to buy, you have opened my eyes many times as I was headed down a discover path in not right direction or hit a puzzle spot   my vote BMW commission you for  BMW's in America 1966 thru today   . here is my work today, it was raining in LA, hard at times so took the BMW 1600-2 to my PT  Westwood (UCLA)  to Pacific Palisades doing 2nd phase of testing and a pass grade no leak in cabin, windshield wipers  great!, radio ok, lights on, brake lights, turn indicators, battery up and charging  so I do not get stopped even though legal for road car looks horrible with rear smashed,    hope to have my rims factory silver this time around  pics  tail lights 8-22-19 & 11-27-19  thanks again Lucian

rear lights 8-22-19.jpg

lights on 11-27-19.jpg

• Like 1

With all due respect, even if you rebuild this car the best possible, it will though of

as a Salvaged car.

your insurance and his combined should cough up $ 60,000 for equal car in concourse condition

I am now butting heads and I think you are right and I am telling them this is it … L