Lucian

Wham-Wham - BMW 1600-2 '67

92 posts / 8903 viewsLast Reply

1 hour ago, maharaja said:

What was/is the difference between the 1600 and 2002 strut?

Same question: does it relate to the caliper mounting?

Regards,

Steve

With all due respect, even if you rebuild this car the best possible, it will though of

as a Salvaged car.

your insurance and his combined should cough up $ 60,000 for equal car in concourse condition

I think that is mounting, I can not remember the name (connection), I found some strut tubes that had one of the part numbers Bruno sent me and emailed him the link (he had mentioned the tube was bent and tried to get some one to make straight), I will put the link below,   hope he can change out the tube and use what is existing I have tried all the national salvage places and may still get calls, Monday I am going to get the 2002 strut and ups it back. I even sent part numbers,. every time I get the wrong part I have to pay labor of  install and take out & worried they get tired of me .. ... INSURANCE... I do not think I will get any where near what I need to restore the car..., my new direction is try to get it road worthy fix body enough then drive or ship it to Louisiana to relatives, and visit them   see if local  body shops have interest to make it look ok, I found couple of family owned shops .. title can be upgraded to a rebuilt car and the relative that needs a car could have it   . I will start over with another car ... see what amount I will have and start the search  for '67 1600-2 or 2002 pre '75 .... I have looked at a 1,000 cars and keep coming back to the 1600-2/2002.    …Lucian  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Strut-Cartridge-Excel-G-Strut-Cartridge-Front-KYB-363013/292968499581?fits=Model%3A1600-2|Make%3ABMW&epid=74967169&hash=item443648897d:g:PcgAAOSwpZpcpGIX

strut.PNG

left front strut.jpg

On 10/27/2019 at 4:19 PM, 72pdx02 said:

Early struts have smaller spindles and bearings. 

Conflicting data per Slavs post on another topic. Just saying.

My apologies, I remember they were different and should have researched before responding.

The fellow that sent the 2002 strut instead of the 1600-2 … 2002 strut  I sent back says he has a 1600-2 but no show,    I found another and he is close I can drive over to confirm,    all the 2002 struct misguided guy has done so far is waste my time, should be test driving a week ago  … L

Surprise, car is in it's home parking spot, David at Bruno's called and said come get her, the fellow with wrong  part must have sent correct part  right a way, they installed part (strut assembly)  and new front shocks, used hydraulic ram to make clearance for tire rubbing body, repaired wiring to rear lights, radiator repair, exhaust hanger, wheel alignment ... test drove highway.. ok  ... pic is home tucked up by wall and tomorrow start in on collecting insurance $    .... L

67.jpg

• Like 1

Looking for Rim 4.5 x 13,  symbol and other numbers ?,     Manuf date spacer.pngspacer.png4 - 1968 my spare now on left back is only rim I has manuf '67 year manuf of car  spacer.pngspacer.png  3 tires are Geostar  175/70 x 13 rad

-2.jpg

-4.jpg

-6.jpg

-7.jpg

-5.jpg

spare tire.jpg

Edited by Lucian
add pic of spare tire, had to let air out to get it out!!
  • Sad 1

Found rim, manuf SRD 3/73, in a hurry FWY window  just ok to get home before tomorrow I hope all is ok with rim, tire free,  pick up in LA by UCLA only, in LA    ... made offer to ins .. if accept will tell why-how ... L  

1600-2 wheel rim.jpg

stock rim.jpg

Glad to see it can roll! It'll be good as new soon enough. 

I hope you can get it fixed, I'm pulling for you.