• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wham-Wham - BMW 1600-2 '67

Lucian
Go to solution Solved by Lucian,

1 hour ago, Lucian said:

.... they found the hit and run guy and he has Insurance !!!   ….. L

He won’t after this episode!

But this is great news for you, Lucien!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks much for all the support, wow never any idea how exhausting,  now a little ray of sunshine, the good Samaritan that was behind me,, got his lic, saw the whole thing, if this happens to any one get the LIC number 1st thing !!!!, never know when it goes south …  L

• Like 1

'67 BMW 1600-2 Sahara/Brown 133,000 ..'73 BMW R90/6 Blk/White pin/s 155,000

glad they found the scumbag

feel better

out of curiosity what freeway was this and do you have classic car insurance like hagerty/chubb/leyland west?

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

Man, those pics make my heart drop.

Super impressed that you came out of that with seemingly just a bump! The little 1600-2 made out very well too, knowing you were hit by such a heavy car going THAT fast.

Extremely happy someone saw and got the plate number for you.

Best of luck to you getting her back into proper shape!

31436374517_8d8d287049_o.jpg.2d76303dce729a94519ce58b66156f83.jpg

Hwy 14 north bound 15 miles south of Palmdale, CA the CHP report will done tomorrow,  I did not know this at time but this part of Hwy is known for problems or so says some locals at Denny's  (Sand Canyon exit area 30 miles south of  Palmdale)  one thing they say is never drive in fast lane at night because drunks have got on Hwy wrong side and they think they are in right lane but the are head on coming traffic fast lane,... crazy    I may try to put my demo in 3dmax/Revit and do vid     someday!        Insurance is not classic car but similar low miles driven per year …  L

Edited by Lucian
cont reply ins, grammer

Wow, wow, wow (Canyon Country)  Tow yard Hot Hot Hot ... Insurance guy did not bring $ after I ask him twice (oh yea no problem, tow guy said he did not even have ck)   so I had to go to tow yard pay from crash to Delivery today $1,275..00 ... now back at German Car Service with 1600-2  see pic the spare tire in trunk,  we had to let air out of tire to get it out,  left rear tire change out to spare and she rolls ...  front bumpers off rt front tire rubbing  and she rolls ... starts up and rolls nice but something leaking in front "radiator" ... Swiss body shop to take a look Bruno thinks they may do it, David does not think they will be interested... I will go by Monday and bring/drive it  to my park spot, claim adjuster est  10,000-12,000.00   As it stands now would make good  Redding, CA  or  Junction Texas Ranch   car     hay and feed in trunk/rear seat,   extra Whiskey dings no problem, rodeo horse/bull kick it ... heck yea ... finally cooling down fan on high, drinking cool water,     what next???   L  

IMG_20190906_115103.jpg

IMG_20190906_120748.jpg

IMG_20190906_121907.jpg

IMG_20190906_122341.jpg

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lucian said:

Junction Texas Ranch   car 

...that's some rough country out there. The color would blend in nicely, though :)

Ed Z

...a bit east of Junction, Texas

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

If rear subframe moved forward, the driveshaft may have moved the engine into the radiator.  Be careful running the engine, make sure it has coolant.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Glad you are OK Lucian. Go slowly with the claim process. Insurance likes to go fast in this case before you have time to think about it. Above all get good medical advice and don't settle too fast. Whiplash and other injuries sometimes take time to present themselves. Then the same goes for the car. Get multiple estimates. Use your shop - not theirs. Leave room for unseen damage. Their insurance should pay for all but once you sign they are off the hook.....

And hit and run charge for the culprit? He deserves more than just a increase in the insurance rate.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Here is pic of car with spare on, bonnet up (goes up dn latches ok, trunk lid opens goes up dn  doors both sides open close ok) ... I requested radiator ck/repair, elec ck/repair, lights again!,  look over test drive  use ties for front lic   and see if Santa brings any thing?   L

spare on-bonnet up-trunk up.jpg

Lucian, so sorry to say but that car has accomplished what it was designed to do in a rear end collision. I don't know how that car will ever be 100% again? Even after all the cut weld etc. the next time if it gets rear hit again, i'm afraid it will go like a cardboard because the structure has been severely compromised. I'm not trying to sway you from restoring it back but at this point it would be best to let it go! By go...I mean put it to sleep. 

Yes you are right, I was going to try to drive back and forth to store, I know poor thing is gone, sure has a lot of heart, the engine was bored out and I found nos pistons on e bay, redone head, new clutch, starter amp, battery, brakes, driveshaft with new Gu...  long nose diff … trailer hitch  and A/C !!!!,   tea cup carb 30 mpg restored heater, beautiful 3 piece dash, retro modern radio, side panels with speakers …. in CA it is year to apply for salvage title,  Ins will give me paper work, my brother's Boss bought a Ranch in Texas … maybe … L 

• Like 1

10-12K is absurdly low for the extent of the damage. My rear end collision which will require pulling the fenders, replacing the tail panel, left tailight assembly, removing F&R glass, new gaskets for said glass & trunk etc, etc, etc is est. at 14K by the bodyshop and 10K by insurance.

IF the car is repairable I'd figure 2X that EASILY. As others have said though, the structural integrity might have been compromised too much which would not bode well for any future bonks/collisions.

Most importantly, you're ok but this does MAJORLY suck. I wish you the best of luck in ironing this out. Hopefully insurance will do right by you.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams