• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know a place that could tune a Tii in the SF Bay area

bujbot

Hello,

I just picked up a Tii and the more I drive it the more I realize it's running pretty rich.  I'm reading up on the fuel injection system but I may just take it to a place to get it tuned.  Does anyone know of a shop in the San Fransisco Bay area that knows how to tune a Kugelfischer?

I've only been doing city driving and I'm sitting at around 15mpg, plus its got a pretty strong "I'm running rich" odor which I don't think is typical of these systems ? 

Thanks!

A1 Autowerks in San Rafael 

Bill Arnold in San Rafael

Casey Motors in Petaluma

Hardy & Beck in Berkeley area 

There are others that others will chime in on.  

Read up on how to properly set the K-fish pump and you can do it yourself with little tools required.  

• Like 3

But what do I know

17 minutes ago, bujbot said:

Amazing, thanks so much!

I was going to spend some time going through the registry and reading up on the pump.  Wasn't sure if there was going to be setup instructions.  I'll keep my eyes out for it.

most of your issues will be in the linkages.  

but what do I know 

But what do I know

Tuning your own car is very satisfying!

well worth learning. And pretty much set and forget with a Tii, especially when your links, warmup regulator, vacuum, filters, o rings, damper valve are all good ...... no really. 

Youve only your sanity to lose.... kidding.

its really not that bad, a good exhaust gas analyser or afr  is worth it’s weight though!

• Like 3

Have some PDFs on the "how to tune a Tii" from old articles, shoot me a PM and I'll send them over.

Most of it is maintenance based, ensure all ball/sockets are "slop free" is a lot of it + there is a plastic cup that can deteriorate + etc...

You can absolutely do it!

Another shop is Schatz and Krum up in Sacramento. Stuart Krum knows how to make Tii's sing!

Jason

• Like 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

Have some PDFs on the "how to tune a Tii" from old articles, shoot me a PM and I'll send them over.

Most of it is maintenance based, ensure all ball/sockets are "slop free" is a lot of it + there is a plastic cup that can deteriorate + etc...

Another shop is Schatz and Krum up in Sacramento. Stuart Krum knows how to make Tii's sing!

Jason

Another is Motorspeed West in san jose if they are still around.

Jason

• Like 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Thanks everyone!  This is really great info!  I'm on the west side of the bay but most of these are close enough that they shouldn't be an issue.

Another is Motorspeed West in san jose if they are still around.

I've heard good things about Motorspeed West for BMW's in general, wasn't sure about Tii's.  I believe they moved to Fremont, but still close.

All that being said, I think I'll start with some reading of the system and maybe give it a shot myself first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

Jason

with a name like Schatz and Krum they have to be good

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Tuning your own car is very satisfying!

well worth learning. And pretty much set and forget with a Tii, especially when your links, warmup regulator, vacuum, filters, o rings, damper valve are all good ...... no really. 

Youve only your sanity to lose.... kidding.

its really not that bad, a good exhaust gas analyser or afr  is worth it’s weight though!

Tuning yourself is cool but Tii is part BMW Tech and part Wizard, more Wizard actually 

+1 for Bill Arnold in San Rafael 

+1 for AFR as well 

DA568B57-E297-4D20-8F91-5CBC468EB4FB.thumb.jpeg.6f5ec8ec0a0830bc414f7946a8c0e4f2.jpeg

158C0610-E445-408E-A8EF-B62D3A99C6E3.thumb.jpeg.795eabf28edb559e678df40380ae87ba.jpeg

BC15149C-1B45-4813-B415-6AD4972E4516.thumb.jpeg.7451dbdd9f28a7efea3b2a441912d1a2.jpeg

• Like 3

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

7 hours ago, chargin said:

Tuning yourself is cool but Tii is part BMW Tech and part Wizard, more Wizard actually 

+1 for Bill Arnold in San Rafael 

+1 for AFR as well 

Chargin, what's going on here?  Looks like you added a wideband O2 sensor and modified the "Fasten seat belt" box with an LED numeric display to show the AFR?   That's a really cool idea!!!

Again, this is all amazing information.  I'll let you all know how I get on with this.  :)