thehackmechanic

Can Anyone Identify These Rocker Arms and Valve Cover?

20 posts / 1072 viewsLast Reply

I'm about to sell my "faux tii," the ratty '73 2002 parts car with a running tii engine in it I've been writing about for BimmerLife. I already found that it has a Schrick cam, but when I adjusted the valves, I noticed that I couldn't get a box-end wrench on the nut, unlike any other M10 or M30 engine I've ever owned. Paul Wegweiser pointed out that the rockers don't have the divot in the middle that stock ones do. Can any one identify them?

And the valve cover has a breather hole, but doesn't have the tube protruding from the hole. The rest of the valve cover looks normal. Has anyone ever seen this?

Thanks.

--Rob

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

Based on your story my guess is that the PO cut it off.

Not sure about the rockers. Maybe after market when

the head was rebuilt?

valve cover breather nipple looks like the carbureted engine version, with the tube cut off.

Possibly due to clearance issues with the intake.

The tii breather nipple is let into the cover, like this one (but then you probably already knew that). :) 

Image result for tii valve cover breather

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

valve cover breather nipple looks like the carbureted engine version, with the tube cut off

+1  I'll bet a close examination will reveal saw or file marks...

Those rockers don't look like the factory item--finish is too smooth, and there isn't the little ground-out dimple at the center of the rocker, almost directly over the shaft.  

So you got Faux running?  Good for you...

mike

+1 for Jeff, I have the same type of rockers.  Polished and shot peened Febi.,procedure made them stronger.

Cheers, 

Matt

IMAG0616.jpg

• Like 2

Some other information about the rockers:

--Each one is numbered, corresponding to the cylinder, saying "1" on one side and "1.1" on the other, up to "4."

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.8edd189ec5af4d1c3875b2bed31e8cb7.JPG

--Each one has the number "836.9"

--The date stamps are "85" or "86."

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

• Like 2

err, those aren't what Febi has looked like since 1998 or so.

And casting dates are an OE thing, especially in that format.

But beyond thinking they're from an OE supplier, I dunno.

Rockers have been breaking since this head design was 

pushed out, so the polishing was probably done

with the cam install.  Can you get a mirror under

to see if the underside's cleaned up, too?

t

On 8/27/2019 at 1:33 PM, thehackmechanic said:

I'm about to sell my "faux tii," the ratty '73 2002 parts car with a running tii engine in it I've been writing about for BimmerLife. I already found that it has a Schrick cam, but when I adjusted the valves, I noticed that I couldn't get a box-end wrench on the nut, unlike any other M10 or M30 engine I've ever owned. Paul Wegweiser pointed out that the rockers don't have the divot in the middle that stock ones do. Can any one identify them?

+1+1+1 on what the others say about rockers (probably febi or similar, polished or 'race-prepped').

Add: Those don't appear to be factory valve spring retainers; with aftermarket, sometimes the collet locks fit deeper in the retainer, effectively 'lifting' the retainer closer to the underside of the rocker arm. That may be / is likely why the box-end wrench won't fit. -KB

Looking at the last picture it looks like you might have duel valve springs (kinda hard to tell from the one picture) with the inner spring installed the wrong way, the inner spring should be installed with the wind going the opposite way of the outer, otherwise with them going the same way it's possible under some conditions for the inner spring to slip a coil into the outer spring coil breaking springs and rockers. 

IMG_0557.JPG

Korman installed similar looking rockers in my stage 3 head over the summer. Invoice says: "R/ARM M10/M30 KORMAN".

IMG_5382.thumb.JPG.e0df85d29a8d2328801650e4ccc7474e.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revolve40 said:

Korman installed similar looking rockers in my stage 3 head over the summer. Invoice says: "R/ARM M10/M30 KORMAN".

Those, too, are factory / OEM rocker arms, with a 'race prep' treatment. (the red anodization on the shaft locks is a nice touch). -KB

• Like 2

...but subtract 7 when you realize that they're just the 5/8" shaft collars from McMaster- Carr....

t

anodized

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TobyB said:

...but subtract 7 when you realize that they're just the 5/8" shaft collars from McMaster- Carr....

t

anodized

What?