thehackmechanic

Can Anyone Identify These Rocker Arms and Valve Cover?

20 posts / 910 viewsLast Reply

On 8/29/2019 at 8:53 AM, Son of Marty said:

Looking at the last picture it looks like you might have duel valve springs (kinda hard to tell from the one picture) with the inner spring installed the wrong way, the inner spring should be installed with the wind going the opposite way of the outer, otherwise with them going the same way it's possible under some conditions for the inner spring to slip a coil into the outer spring coil breaking springs and rockers. 

IMG_0557.JPG

Whoa there, hold on a sec. Did you just say that the inner spring is orientated wrong? A spring is wound in one direction. If it is wound in the same direction as the outer spring, "orientating" it the opposite way will cause the inner spring to be winding...the same as the outer spring, again, because....a spring doesn't change direction if you flip it upside down. i.e. a clockwise spring stays clockwise regardless of orientation. Thanks for that brain twister. I had to think about that a sec.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Furry Camel said:

....a spring doesn't change direction if you flip it upside down. i.e. a clockwise spring stays clockwise regardless of orientation. Thanks for that brain twister. I had to think about that a sec.

👍 I was thinking that before but then forgot to make post.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:26 PM, revolve40 said:

Did someone say they were special?

nah, just that they were good for 5hp.  If they were red.

t

• Haha 1