rcf925

Alternator, Regulator ?

18 posts / 861 viewsLast Reply

On my 68 I have an external regulator, I'm upgrading alternator to 45 amp TII Alternator set-up so it has internal regulator. Can I just unplug and remove external regulator?

voltage regulator.jpg

6 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Unplug it and sell that magic box on ebay to offset the cost of the new alternator.

After this build is complete I got a lot of ebay stuff

I converted my 71 but left the regulator on it, just unplugged (I like that purty yella tape).   

Once you remove the original voltage regulator, do you need to alter or add to the  wiring of the new internally regulated alternator?

(edited)

Uh, pretty sure you need switched 12V going into the alternator somewhere, on 320 alternator conversions one wire from the voltage regulator has to connect to the D+ terminal. They need current to make current. 

Unless we are talking generators?

Edited by tech71

(edited)
11 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Uh, pretty sure you need switched 12V going into the alternator somewhere, on 320 alternator conversions one wire from the voltage regulator has to connect to the D+ terminal. They need current to make current.

There is the 3 prong plug to back of alternator and hot red wire goes to B+, and a ground to block.   I think thats all I would need

Edited by rcf925

Confused now,  The 3 prong plug is from the voltage regulator.   To my knowledge Internally regulated alternators only have 2 wires, B+( battery) and D+ (12v in) Normally you have to connect 1 wire from the regulator to the D+ on the alternator. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tech71 said:

Confused now,  The 3 prong plug is from the voltage regulator.   To my knowledge Internally regulated alternators only have 2 wires, B+( battery) and D+ (12v in) Normally you have to connect 1 wire from the regulator to the D+ on the alternator. 

Ah, Yes I see 3 prong goes to external regulator so I think I got it now, But why is there still a three prong plug on the new alternator if it has internal regulator? Can I just cut 2 wires from the 3 prong plug and leave the blue one on and just plug it back in with the blue going to D+

55 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

Can I just cut 2 wires from the 3 prong plug and leave the blue one on and just plug it back in with the blue going to D+

If the shoe fits, wear it.

8 hours ago, rcf925 said:

Ah, Yes I see 3 prong goes to external regulator so I think I got it now, But why is there still a three prong plug on the new alternator if it has internal regulator? Can I just cut 2 wires from the 3 prong plug and leave the blue one on and just plug it back in with the blue going to D+

Picture would be good. The tii alternator was externally regulated. Why do you think it is internal?

If it has the same 3 pin plug on the alternator it is likely to be external. The pin s are typically marked with their function on the case. If so, does this match the marking on the old alternator? I doubt that Bosch would use the same plug but in a different configuration across different alternators. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Simeon said:

Picture would be good. The tii alternator was externally regulated. Why do you think it is internal?

If it has the same 3 pin plug on the alternator it is likely to be external. The pin s are typically marked with their function on the case. If so, does this match the marking on the old alternator? I doubt that Bosch would use the same plug but in a different configuration across different alternators. 

I don't have new alternator yet, I bought on Ebay, Here's a pic, It says on ebay for Tii but I think they just mean it will fit Tii also, I bought cause it's a 45 amp. Would this alternator be regulated internal or external?

Alternator.jpg

Edited by rcf925

And a Tii alternator requires a Tii mounting bracket as it’s mounting point is significantly larger than a non Tii one.

it might be better to go for a non Tii alternator of similar or greater output.

Also Simeon is correct the Tii alternator is externally regulated.

One other thing, make sure the external regulator is compatible with the alternator or you will boil your battery.... ask me how I know!